Need New thermostat - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2020, 09:30 PM   #1

Tennessee
Need New thermostat

Click image for larger version

Name:	743AD1EE-4757-40E2-A472-AE2177B50402-7376-000003B88F959FA4.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	6239

Currently have this poc. Really want to replace it with something nicer that actually works. Any recommendations?

curiousgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:07 AM   #2

Wyoming
The photo is a good start, but it might help if you also shared what issue you’re having that makes you want to replace it.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #3

Florida
Because of the type of system it is, you may be very limited in your choices. A standard thermostat for a home is the wrong working voltage. Fortunately, there are LOTS of DOMETIC manufactured thermostats. Not sure if you can arbitrarily add a Dometic Control Center.

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Domet...0aAtr9EALw_wcB

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/searc...hermostat&www=
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #4

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
The photo is a good start, but it might help if you also shared what issue you’re having that makes you want to replace it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	743AD1EE-4757-40E2-A472-AE2177B50402-7376-000003B88F959FA4.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	6242
It has a mind of its own. Controls are super touchy. Impossible to adjust
curiousgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:00 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgb View Post
Attachment 6242
It has a mind of its own. Controls are super touchy. Impossible to adjust
Sounds like my wife!
Old 05-10-2020, 12:54 AM   #6

Georgia
My Wife...

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Sounds like my wife!
LOL, same here.
Sorry, had to chime in.

My two cents three months into owning a new 2020 Dutchman product:
Burn it and collect whatever you can get! Worst RV quality I have EVER SEEN! Components, accessories the whole thing and everything inside and outside of it.

But yes, do your research on an “RV” replacement thermostat that has a good user review rating. I am replacing stuff already a little at a time. Eventually my RV will be completely re-made! I may even rip the decal name badges off of it and re-name it something new!!!
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #7

Illinois
Good luck finding a RV that doesn't share components and accessories. They ALL share most components from windows, to levelers, AC's, etc. While I'm not espousing one brand over another, I had great luck with my Voltage 3990 (Dutchmen) and equally happy with my Riverstone (Forest River). When you figure the thousands of units that are built against the number of complaints, I think most owners are happy with their units. Of course you have the inevitable lemon, and I feel sorry for whomever gets the unlucky draw. Just don't think it right to say a manufacturer is bad because of a few bad units. Like saying all GM products are junk because you got the lemon. Just sayin'.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Good luck finding a RV that doesn't share components and accessories. They ALL share most components from windows, to levelers, AC's, etc. While I'm not espousing one brand over another, I had great luck with my Voltage 3990 (Dutchmen) and equally happy with my Riverstone (Forest River). When you figure the thousands of units that are built against the number of complaints, I think most owners are happy with their units. Of course you have the inevitable lemon, and I feel sorry for whomever gets the unlucky draw. Just don't think it right to say a manufacturer is bad because of a few bad units. Like saying all GM products are junk because you got the lemon. Just sayin'.
Rusty
Don't want to highjack this thread but I'm just wondering about your 350. What does your RV weigh? Are you happy with the performance of the truck? Do you have the 6.7 diesel? Do you have the 50- gal tank? What would you change if you could?-maybe I better start a new thread...
Old 05-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #9

Georgia
Just Not Mine...

Quote:
Rusty
The problem is real and getting worse because we the buyers are allowing the RV Manufacturers to get away with it. It is not "just a few bad lemons!" When RV and Travel Trailer Magazines are even talking about it you know it is on the forefront of the mind of owners like me!
I wish I had a gazillion dollars to have a "quality" unit which I have heard starts at about the $75,000+, or is that price point they have better quality control?
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #10

Minnesota
Thumbs up Works OK

I have the same thermostat in my Aerolite and found it difficult to use at first. I have gotten used to it and have made my peace with it. Actually works just fine. Takes a consistent touch and a bit of patience. I had its predecessor in my Surveyor, which did not have the same "touchy" aspects and it worked great.
Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #11

Illinois
Franktafl, I love my truck. Knock on wood no issues. Just did front brakes at 60K. It is the 6.7 diesel. Mileage is so-so and since the EPA doesn't require fuel estimates on trucks, I don't know if I'm average or not. I tow at 65 and get close to 8.5 to 9 mpg. I only get around 12-13 around town in the city. I can't remember gross vehicle weight but my RV is around 20K. I have the small 36 gallon tank but am looking at getting a small saddle tank with another 20-30 gallons to fit under my tool box.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:11 AM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Franktafl, I love my truck. Knock on wood no issues. Just did front brakes at 60K. It is the 6.7 diesel. Mileage is so-so and since the EPA doesn't require fuel estimates on trucks, I don't know if I'm average or not. I tow at 65 and get close to 8.5 to 9 mpg. I only get around 12-13 around town in the city. I can't remember gross vehicle weight but my RV is around 20K. I have the small 36 gallon tank but am looking at getting a small saddle tank with another 20-30 gallons to fit under my tool box.
Rusty
Thanks Rusty... good info. I'm considering a 350 or a 450 when I upgrade my RV!
Old 05-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #13

Tennessee
I’ve owned my Dutchman Kodiak for 3 camping seasons, love my rig a few minor issues (repaired myself) quality is as good as other manufacturers
and maybe a little better, just my 2 cents
HAPPY CAMPING [emoji4]
Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #14

Florida
For $30 I got this digital thermostat from Amazon and it took all of 5 minutes to install & runs on 2 AAA batteries (I keep an extra set in trailer).
Honeywell TH1100DV1000
Piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:58 PM   #15

Connecticut
When asking three women in an office do they feel hot, cold or just right each one will have a different answer.

kimbo@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote