Looking to install a second AC - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #1

Florida
Looking to install a second AC

I'm looking to install a second AC in the TT. this one is for the bedroom. I have the ability to install one (according to the sign above the bed) and all the electrical connections are there supposedly. I'm looking for something a lot quieter than the one that was factory installed something with a VFD on the fan motor would be great (as well as the compressor). Does anything like this exist? Do the current AC mfr's even know what a VFD is? I know that the new window units have all these items but do the rooftop ones have these features? Anyone installed or replaced your rooftop unit lately? What brand? I would be open to replacing the main AC unit also, that thing has a LOUD fan and compressor. I've done a web search and don't find anything that even remotely says anything about a variable speed motor on the compressor or fan. I welcome your suggestions.
Thanks,
frank

PS: Would I be better off replacing the factory AC with something that will cool the entire RV without sounding like we're living in a wind tunnel?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Unfortunately there are very few options for the roof mounted air conditioners on RV's. Best solution I have seen was the guy that mounted a small house hold type Split Unit with the inverter. He mounted the outside portion on the tongue and the inside on a side wall. They are super quiet and very energy efficient, the smallest units are 110v so they would work. I have installed a couple and put them on a 15 amp branch circuit with no problems. IIRC they pull less than 12 amps. You would think that someone would develop something similar for the RV roof top market...

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Unfortunately there are very few options for the roof mounted air conditioners on RV's. Best solution I have seen was the guy that mounted a small house hold type Split Unit with the inverter. He mounted the outside portion on the tongue and the inside on a side wall. They are super quiet and very energy efficient, the smallest units are 110v so they would work. I have installed a couple and put them on a 15 amp branch circuit with no problems. IIRC they pull less than 12 amps. You would think that someone would develop something similar for the RV roof top market...

Aaron

Aaron, thanks for the input. unfortunately, there is not a vacant space on any wall in the bedroom for a split unit which would have been a wonderful option (I have a slide for the king size bed and closets in the front). I can't really tell what type of mechanism they utilize for a "duct" that reaches toward the bedroom. When I spoke to the installers at CW, they were going to install a duct (I already have two in the bedroom) for the new AC and a wireless remote for the new AC. Not knowing how the RV is built, this confused me somewhat since they are not about to explain much of anything. Wish I could see one built!
Old 08-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #4

Wyoming
Good luck on finding an AC solution that's right for you. I've got no input for you there, except this...

I guess I'm one of the weird guys that actually doesn't mind hearing the bedroom AC. To me, it's "white noise". In fact, my pre-bedtime routine is to actually ensure that I switch the thermostat fan switch from "Auto" to "Low" every night... and then back to "Auto" in the morning when I get up.

That way it runs constantly (no cycling on & off during the night)... and as I result, I hear very little that goes on outside my rig until I wake up each morning. No one's car doors slamming, no loud motorcycles roaring in/out of the campground, etc. I find it works very well.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Good luck on finding an AC solution that's right for you. I've got no input for you there, except this...

I guess I'm one of the weird guys that actually doesn't mind hearing the bedroom AC. To me, it's "white noise". In fact, my pre-bedtime routine is to actually ensure that I switch the thermostat fan switch from "Auto" to "Low" every night... and then back to "Auto" in the morning when I get up.

That way it runs constantly (no cycling on & off during the night)... and as I result, I hear very little that goes on outside my rig until I wake up each morning. No one's car doors slamming, no loud motorcycles roaring in/out of the campground, etc. I find it works very well.
Exactly my routine too Tom. How funny is that? We have been full-time now for over 18 months and that was the #1 sleep solution for both of us. Works for naps too!
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
We do the same thing at night too. Keeps air moving which makes my bride happy, and provides white noise to drown out the not so natural sounds.

Aaron [emoji41]
Old 08-11-2018, 10:02 PM   #7

Florida
I don't so much mind a little noise. I know, at this time, the single AC is not enough to keep the RV cool and it runs CONSTANTLY and is super loud. If they had one that had a VFD on the fan motor so it would not run full force all night long, that would be great. The reason I was posting is to find out if there was someone like the Amish that made rooftop ac units. the usual AC units have only one speed and with the squirrel cages, they run loud. I installed a MAXX fan in the bathroom and it has the type of motor I can slow down and makes little to no noise. When we camp in the mountains and it's 50 degrees and the wind isn't 60 mph, it works great for cooling. I need to put a cover over it so the cover doesn't get ripped off in the mountain wind.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
My Dometic has two fan speeds but I don't think it is variable.

Aaron [emoji41]
Old 08-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #9

Texas
My 3 Dometic have 3 speeds and auto.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
My 3 Dometic have 3 speeds and auto.
does the "auto" vary the speed of the fan motor?
Old 08-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
does the "auto" vary the speed of the fan motor?
Depending on the temp diff yes, either low, med or high. However, not true variable speed so no, kind of.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #12

Michigan
Frank,

I just installed a 2nd air conditioner in a 287RE Denali, 2017. I think that's going to be close as your going to find, if not exactly the same.

1st, Forget any VDF. They just are not available.

2nd. Your unit is NOT pre wired for any air conditioner. It just means they ran an 20 amp, 120 volt wire next to the vent hole. That will only work with a limited range of units.

3rd. Your trailer is not pre wired for a thermostat on the 2nd air conditioner. That requires a 12 volt 16 gauge connection to the battery (and/or fuse box) AND a 3 wire 18 gague wire to the thermostat. The thermostat cannot be mounted on an exterior wall.

4th. Without a exterior thermostat, all the controls are on the dress plate and the fan runs continually.

5th. If you do it yourself, the unit, thermostat, and the mounting (everything you need) can be acquired for about 750. (assuming you use a Domestic Brisk Air 2 which is what your front air conditioner is).

For me, trying to install a dual zone thermostat was to difficult so I installed 2 single zone thermostats. Fishing most of the wires through the ceiling.

I will send a seperate note on how to contact me, if you have questions.
Shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:19 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp View Post
Frank,

I just installed a 2nd air conditioner in a 287RE Denali, 2017. I think that's going to be close as your going to find, if not exactly the same.

1st, Forget any VDF. They just are not available.

2nd. Your unit is NOT pre wired for any air conditioner. It just means they ran an 20 amp, 120 volt wire next to the vent hole. That will only work with a limited range of units.

3rd. Your trailer is not pre wired for a thermostat on the 2nd air conditioner. That requires a 12 volt 16 gauge connection to the battery (and/or fuse box) AND a 3 wire 18 gague wire to the thermostat. The thermostat cannot be mounted on an exterior wall.

4th. Without a exterior thermostat, all the controls are on the dress plate and the fan runs continually.

5th. If you do it yourself, the unit, thermostat, and the mounting (everything you need) can be acquired for about 750. (assuming you use a Domestic Brisk Air 2 which is what your front air conditioner is).

For me, trying to install a dual zone thermostat was to difficult so I installed 2 single zone thermostats. Fishing most of the wires through the ceiling.

I will send a seperate note on how to contact me, if you have questions.
Hello Shemp... Thanks for the info and I have your PM. We have the same RV and yes, it is pre-wired for the electrical over the bed. We can talk when you get back.

Frank