Help... Water Heater Leak - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #1

Wyoming
Help... Water Heater Leak

Woke up this morning to find a puddle of water on the kitchen floor, hugging the base of the cabinets. Traced it to the area under the fridge. Removed the panel, and can see a trace of water that seems to be a slow leak from the bottom of the water heater.

So here's my dilemma... while I don't mind getting my hands dirty, I'm not a plumber. But here's what I've done so far...

I've pulled my paperwork, and from what I can tell, all of the hose fittings are on the rear of this thing where I can see them. I've checked them, and can detect no leaks from any of them.

I've pulled the exterior panel, and there's nothing out if the ordinary out there.

As such, it would appear the tank itself has developed a leak... and the only way I can see of inspecting and/or verifying that is to pull the whole affair and remove the molded styrofoam insulation.

Am I on the right track? And if it is the tank, can it be reliably repaired? Or am I just wasting my time by even thinking of inspecting-repairing it, instead of just buying & replacing the heater?

Advise welcome...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #2

California
Tom
I just replaced mine on my 2003 Teton but that's because it rusted out after 13 years. Had a pin hole on the tank. I find it hard to believe yours would do that. Have you looked at it from the outside panel. My guess it's the relief valve that may be leaking.

Good luck

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #3

Wyoming
Area behind the exterior panel is bone dry. Nothing unusual there. Have checked everything except for removing the unit, and removing the styrofoam cover from the tank.

Area under the tank is all wet. It's a slow leak to be sure, but the tank has to be compromised somehow.

After checking prices on a new unit, I gained an education on how expensive they are. Ouch! Glad I have my Good Sam extended service plan.

Called my mobile tech, and he's gonna come check it tomorrow. I'll update then.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Tom
I just replaced mine on my 2003 Teton but that's because it rusted out after 13 years. Had a pin hole on the tank. I find it hard to believe yours would do that. Have you looked at it from the outside panel. My guess it's the relief valve that may be leaking.

Good luck
Mike,

I agree that the tank is way to young to have developed a leak. I replaced a 25 year old tank in my old Airstream, simply because I wanted to have a DSI water heater.

But the relief valve shouldn't be the problem, it should be venting to the outside.

This sounds like one of lifes little mysteries that you can't believe it, until you believe it. (Sorry Yogi.)
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:39 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Woke up this morning to find a puddle of water on the kitchen floor, hugging the base of the cabinets. Traced it to the area under the fridge. Removed the panel, and can see a trace of water that seems to be a slow leak from the bottom of the water heater.

So here's my dilemma... while I don't mind getting my hands dirty, I'm not a plumber. But here's what I've done so far...

I've pulled my paperwork, and from what I can tell, all of the hose fittings are on the rear of this thing where I can see them. I've checked them, and can detect no leaks from any of them.

I've pulled the exterior panel, and there's nothing out if the ordinary out there.

As such, it would appear the tank itself has developed a leak... and the only way I can see of inspecting and/or verifying that is to pull the whole affair and remove the molded styrofoam insulation.

Am I on the right track? And if it is the tank, can it be reliably repaired? Or am I just wasting my time by even thinking of inspecting-repairing it, instead of just buying & replacing the heater?

Advise welcome...
I've had many aluminum water heater tanks welded. I lived on RV tanks down south for many years, most of them were pulled from RVs when they had frozen and had split.
I've also repaired small pin holes with JB Weld.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:36 AM   #6

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
...I've also repaired small pin holes with JB Weld.
That was my first thought too. But, like I said, I've got the Extended Service Plan, so I may as well use it.

The odd thing is, the mobile tech got finished with another job sooner than expected, and showed up here today. I had just finished drying up everything I could about an hour before he arrived... and there was more water when he began looking. Searched all around, and agreed with my assessment that none of the lines were the cause.

He then pulled the exterior panel and partially removed the unit from the cavity... and still couldn't find anywhere the thing was leaking. However, there was plenty of water under the unit that HAD to be coming from the unit, because it was still warm. The odd thing was, he broke away some of the styrofoam insulation, and could feel NO water between the aluminum tank & the styrofoam. He did say, however, that he didn't like the seal that Dutchmen made at the factory. So he pushed it back in, and took the time to seal the exterior real good before replacing all of the screws.

Even though he & his assistant put in over an hour trying to diagnose the thing, he wouldn't take any money from me. The plan is to see if it leaks again tonight, and call him in the morning. If it's dry, great... and if not, he'll come back and begin the claim process to just replace the whole unit, and/or upgrade it to a tankless 'on demand' system that I have been thinking of anyway.

Update tomorrow...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-30-2015, 12:52 AM   #7

Oklahoma
Good plan to go with the tankless unit. I eventually replaced my RV heater down south with a tankless and installed a Noritz tankless in this house I'm rebuilding.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:42 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
That was my first thought too. But, like I said, I've got the Extended Service Plan, so I may as well use it.

The odd thing is, the mobile tech got finished with another job sooner than expected, and showed up here today. I had just finished drying up everything I could about an hour before he arrived... and there was more water when he began looking. Searched all around, and agreed with my assessment that none of the lines were the cause.

He then pulled the exterior panel and partially removed the unit from the cavity... and still couldn't find anywhere the thing was leaking. However, there was plenty of water under the unit that HAD to be coming from the unit, because it was still warm. The odd thing was, he broke away some of the styrofoam insulation, and could feel NO water between the aluminum tank & the styrofoam. He did say, however, that he didn't like the seal that Dutchmen made at the factory. So he pushed it back in, and took the time to seal the exterior real good before replacing all of the screws.

Even though he & his assistant put in over an hour trying to diagnose the thing, he wouldn't take any money from me. The plan is to see if it leaks again tonight, and call him in the morning. If it's dry, great... and if not, he'll come back and begin the claim process to just replace the whole unit, and/or upgrade it to a tankless 'on demand' system that I have been thinking of anyway.

Update tomorrow...
A poor seal makes sense on a unit that young.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:31 AM   #9

Nevada
Tom, From one of your Photos, I see a black drain passing by, Have your guy check that first, I feel like everyone else, the tank is too new, for it to have a leak… You may have to run water thru that drain for it to leak?
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #10

Colorado
Please keep us all updated. If you are filing a claim I'm interested how that goes. I originally purchased the Good Sam extended service plan. When I did the agent made a big deal out of having all routine MX that the manufacturer recommended done and have proper documentation or the claim would be denied. I cancelled after a year because if I did everything recommended in the manuals I would be very broke.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:00 PM   #11

Wyoming
Well, it's definitely the heater...

About 8pm last night, I already had another puddle in front of the fridge. So I killed power to the unit, went outside to the wet bay and moved the red bypass lever into the bypass position... and then removed the drain plug from the heater and drained the unit.

From that point, no more leaks or puddles on the floor overnight.

Called my mobile tech to update him... but as luck would have it, he's under the weather today. His wife said he'd get back to me later in the day. True to form, he called about an hour ago and said he'd try to get by here tomorrow.

So I'm in a holding pattern for now... but at least I know it's definitely the heater unit.

More to follow...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 11-05-2015, 03:56 AM   #12

Wyoming
Well, got the new water heater installed today.

Upon removal & inspection, the old one was leaking from a place in the weld where the 2 halves of the tank were joined. Didn't even try repairing it... replacement was the best option.

Took about 2 hours to remove & replace. Total cost was $1,185.00... but on the positive side, my Good Sam extended service plan covered all labor & parts cost, minus my $100 deductable since I didn't bring the rig to a Camping World.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 11-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #13

California
Glad you got it sorted out Tom. $100.00 isn't bad to get hot water again.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #14

British Columbia
Doesn't take much crap on aluminum to cause a defective weld.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:18 PM   #15

Idaho
Glad that you found out what the issue was. Great troubleshooting by the way!

RickNTee is offline   Reply With Quote