Help! Fidge not working - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2023, 03:59 PM   #1

Colorado
Help! Fridge not working

Being new to the forum and hoping its a great resource for this life style. So of course here I am and already asking for help. We have a 2022 Astoria 3713 RLP and have a fridge issue. Left the outer banks and when we got home I noticed the fridge was at 34 when we left it was 40 when we got home. So after resting and hooking up our unit to shore power here at our place I went to test the fridge and nothing came on. SO I checked and reset all the breakers all the fuses in the main panel seem to be intact. I also unplugged and plugged in the unit in the service panel I checked the 5 amp auto fuse in service area I did notice another 5 amp fuse glass type and it appears to be ok, have not pulled it yet. Also the interior lite in the fridge does not come on. I also reset the GFIC in the bathroom. It was working when we got home since I was able to see the temp. SO at this point I am assuming there is no power to fridge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We have been on a few trips and the wife and I are liking the people places we have been.

kedenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:35 AM   #2

California
The fact that the interior light does not come on and it is also not cooling leads me to believe the problem is electrical to the fridge and not something internal to the fridge—which is hopefully an easy fix.

You can ignore anything related to circuit breakers and GFI as those pertain to AC and not your fridge as it runs off of DC and propane. Fuses in the fuse panel are where you should focus on.

Just out of curiosity did you check your battery level prior to plugging into shore power? Are your interior lights working when not on shore power? Perhaps your batteries are too low to run the fridge? This does seem unlikely though as you have a new RV and it would be unusual for this to happen but crazier things have happened to all of us.

There also might be a fuse in an access panel for your fridge. I would Google your fridge manufacturer for an owners manual unless you have one already and see what it lists for troubleshooting.

I have had plenty of cooling issues over the years but never a complete loss of power like you are having so I am really not sure what else to suggest.

Good luck.

Old 01-04-2023, 04:34 PM   #3

Wisconsin
The Dutchmen Owner's Manual does not specify the refrigerator type. It could be absorption or compressor. It could be powered by (propane + 12 volts), (12 volts +12 volts), or (120 volts + 12 volts), or (just 120 volts).

Please post make and model of refrigerator for better advice. Did the TT have an OEM installed inverter?

Common configuration is an Absorption refrigerator that runs on (propane +12 volts) or (120 volts + 12 volts).

Absorption refrigerators use 12 volts for controls and either propane or 120 volts for cooling. Compressor refrigerators run on either 12 volts, or 120 volts. Travel trailers with a 120 volt compressor refrigerator usually also come with an inverter to power it without shore power or generator.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:44 AM   #4

Colorado
So things have gotten more interesting a few hours later after researching possible issues. I went back into our unit and the lite was on and temp was showing..so great I thought. Since it's going to be awhile until we take our next adventure I pressed the on/off button and the fridge did not turn off. The propane tanks I had shut off earlier. So i disconnected from shore power and the fridge shut off. Plugged shore power back in and it turned back on all by itself. And again it would not shut off when I pressed the on/off button......dang gremlins...lol...beginning to think it the panel that houses the on/off button.
kedenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:49 PM   #5

Florida
Please give us the make and model number of the fridge!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote