Furnace run time and white noise - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #1

Indiana
Furnace run time and white noise

Hi all. This is my first season with my trailer. I use it mostly on weekend for attending my kids soccer tournaments. Sure beats a hotel bill and i usually just park in the parking lot at the fields. I have 2 questions.

1. It is starting to get cooler, so I am running the furnace much more. I am running a pair of 6v golf cart batteries and have no issue running the furnace electric wise. As far as propane, what kind of life should I expect out of a 30lb tank. This weekend it is in the low 40s at night so the furnace kicks on about every 15-20 minutes and runs for about 10-15 minutes. I also make use of the HW heater about 1 time a day and will cook 1-2 times a day using the oven to reheat things at times. Just trying to get a rough estimate. I don’t want to run out in the middle of the night. Also, is there gauge I could install to let me know what my propane level is?

2. With camping out in the parking lot there tends to be a bit of traffic noise. While the furnace blower or roof vent fans are going it drowns it out pretty well, but when the furnace stops the cars passing by wake me up. What would be a good thing for white noise to drown these type of sounds out? Should I just get a small fan to run, or is there something else that could work better?

Thanks

Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #2

Wyoming
Depending on the temps... I’d say you can plan on going thru 1 tank per weekend. The furnace eats propane like tic-tacs. If you were on shore power, I’d suggest investing in a couple of electric ceramic disc heaters, but for dry camping that’s not really a great option.

As for white noise... just download an app on your phone. Personally, I like the one pictured, and have used it for a number of years. Has lots of options to choose from: rain showers, crickets, train tracks, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	049A1EA7-5D06-46E4-A5E4-5325FA399DAA.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	5115

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #3

Indiana
Thanks for the information. I really only use the furnace over night right now. During the day we aren’t in the trailer a ton due to tournament games. While we are I usually run my generator some to make sure the batteries are ready to run the furnace all night. While it is on I have one of these I run to keep it warm. On shore power I can run the 2 that I have, but on my generator I can only run 1 at a time. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0659.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	5116
I also use this guy when I first kick on the furnace or need to raise the temp quickly. That way all the furnace has to do is maintain the temp. This guy definitely puts off some serious heat.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0658.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	5117
Old 10-27-2018, 04:39 PM   #4

Indiana
I will give the white noise app a try.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #5

Florida
buy an electric blanket! (dual heat controls).
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #6

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
buy an electric blanket! (dual heat controls).

Wouldn’t that require shore power to run, or am I missing something?
Old 10-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #7

Oklahoma
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=12-volt+e...l_71fbd65jgo_e
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #8

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post

How quick do these 12v ones drain your batteries?
Old 10-28-2018, 06:10 PM   #9

Oklahoma
That answer can probably found in the reviews on Amazon.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #10

Oregon
I think you will run out of battery before you run the 30# tank out. Even with two 6 volts at 200 amp hours. A furnace can draw 8 to 10 amps, throw in a couple of lights, a small fan and 12 parasite sources in your trailer you could be 15amp. Even running your generator a couple of hours a day may not be able to keep up.

A battery voltage monitor would be a good idea. Don't let your batteries drop below 50%

A small 12 volt fan would be good for white noise.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:31 AM   #11

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I think you will run out of battery before you run the 30# tank out. Even with two 6 volts at 200 amp hours. A furnace can draw 8 to 10 amps, throw in a couple of lights, a small fan and 12 parasite sources in your trailer you could be 15amp. Even running your generator a couple of hours a day may not be able to keep up.

A battery voltage monitor would be a good idea. Don't let your batteries drop below 50%

A small 12 volt fan would be good for white noise.

Thanks. I made it through the weekend without any issue. I just ran the furnace at night. Whenever we were in the trailer for a while during the day I would just kick on my generator and use a small electric heater to keep the temperature where we wanted it.

Running the generator during the day charged the batteries enough for the furnace to run off and on all night. I have a voltage gauge that I keep plugged into the 12v outlet to monitor the voltage through out.

I do need to get some kind of a gauge for my propane tanks though, just so I know when they are getting low.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #12

Florida
one or two amps tops. I believe it keeps warm at about a half amp.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #13

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
I do need to get some kind of a gauge for my propane tanks though, just so I know when they are getting low.
There are many different options out there, but I've been using this one for about 2 years now, and like it a lot:

https://mopeka.com/product/tv-and-we...ndard-sensors/

The sensors attach magnetically to the bottom of your tanks, and transmit a wireless Bluetooth signal to a free app for your smart phone or tablet (or both).

In the app, you can name each sensor whatever you want, so you can monitor as many tanks as you'd like (RV tanks, BBQ grill tank, propane firepit tank, etc.)

In the photos below, I have my roadside tank valve closed, which is why it shows empty. The valve must be open to show volume. But it's an easy way to check anytime I want in vicinity of the rig. They are coming out with a WiFi version soon, so you can even check the tanks when you are away from the rig.

Name:	IMG_2058.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	5129

Name:	IMG_2059.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	5130
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #14

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
There are many different options out there, but I've been using this one for about 2 years now, and like it a lot:

The sensors attach magnetically to the bottom of your tanks, and transmit a wireless Bluetooth signal to a free phone app for your smart phone or tablet (or both).

In the app, you can name each sensor whatever you want, so you can monitor as many as you'd like (RV tanks, BBQ grill tank, propane firepit tank, etc.)

In the photos below, I have my roadside tank valve closed, which is why it shows empty. The valve must be open to show volume. But it's an easy way to check anytime I want in vicinity of the rig. They are coming out with a WiFi version soon, so you can even check the tanks when you are away from the rig.

Attachment 5129

Attachment 5130

Thanks. I was hoping for something where I can check without having to remove the tank cover.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #15

Florida
Quote:

The sensors attach magnetically to the bottom of your tanks, and transmit a wireless Bluetooth signal to a free phone app for your smart phone or tablet (or both).

In the app, you can name each sensor whatever you want, so you can monitor as many as you'd like (RV tanks, BBQ grill tank, propane firepit tank, etc.)

Attachment 5129

Attachment 5130
Interesting product (and it's on sale). Do you need anything besides the sensors?
Old 10-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #16

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Interesting product (and it's on sale). Do you need anything besides the sensors?
No, not really... but the "halo" does help.

Products – Mopeka Products, LLC (scroll down)

The sensors attach magnetically to the bottom of the tank.. but, they are a bit thicker than the base ring of most tanks. As such, the kit comes with some small rubber 'feet' to attach to the bottom to provide the necessary clearance. Only trouble is, they kinda deteriorate over time. That's where the beefier halo comes into play. It attaches the entire ring, and provides a better option.

Or, if you've got some spare 1" thick wood laying around you can do what I did. I simply cut a couple of 9" squares (one for each tank) that would fit on my tank shelves... then used a 4" hole saw to cut a hole in the center. The tanks sit on the wood, and the hole gives enough clearance for the sensor. Nice permanent solution.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #17

Florida
Quote:
No, not really... but the "halo" does help.

Products – Mopeka Products, LLC (scroll down)

The sensors attach magnetically to the bottom of the tank.. but, they are a bit thicker than the base ring of most tanks. As such, the kit comes with some small rubber 'feet' to attach to the bottom to provide the necessary clearance. Only trouble is, they kinda deteriorate over time. That's where the beefier halo comes into play. It attaches the entire ring, and provides a better option.

Or, if you've got some spare 1" thick wood laying around you can do what I did. I simply cut a few 9" squares that would fit on my tank shelves... then used a 4" hole saw to cut a hole in the center. The tanks sit on the wood, and the hole gives enough clearance for the sensor. Nice permanent solution.
Since I have a Travel trailer, I need to check to see how much thread I have left after I secure the tanks. I think the rings would be better for tank clearance and tightening them down. Hose is tight too! Do they operate ultrasonically ?? I also imagine that they need a little electronic "breather" room in order to get a signal out where it is probably traveling through the holes in the base of the tank.

Currently I use two of these guys but I have found that the levels in the propane tanks are affected by the ambient temperature (COLD = LOW HOT=HIGH)