Furnace Issue - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #1

Idaho
Furnace Issue

This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway. I have been testing all of our systems in the new 282dbhs before we take it out this weekend. Thankfully, when we picked up the trailer they told us that the thermostat had to be in "Auto" mode so that the AC and furnace dont run at the same time. The problem I seem to be encountering is that when you set the furnace temp, in this case to 66 degrees, it obviously doesnt turn off at 66 degrees. It got so blasted hot in the trailer that we had to open the doors to let some cooler air in. Is there a magic trick to this system or do you just have to shut the darn thing off when not needed? I dont consider myself a newbie to RV's; however, this is the first one that we've had that has a digital thermostat that controls both the AC and furnace.

jelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott View Post
This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway. I have been testing all of our systems in the new 282dbhs before we take it out this weekend. Thankfully, when we picked up the trailer they told us that the thermostat had to be in "Auto" mode so that the AC and furnace dont run at the same time. The problem I seem to be encountering is that when you set the furnace temp, in this case to 66 degrees, it obviously doesnt turn off at 66 degrees. It got so blasted hot in the trailer that we had to open the doors to let some cooler air in. Is there a magic trick to this system or do you just have to shut the darn thing off when not needed? I dont consider myself a newbie to RV's; however, this is the first one that we've had that has a digital thermostat that controls both the AC and furnace.
It should shut down when it hits the set point. Suffer through it until you can get it back to the dealer. While resting this weekend you might dig through the manual and look for the reset procedure.
Something is loose or not exactly correct with the thermostat and/or wiring.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:37 AM   #3

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
It should shut down when it hits the set point. Suffer through it until you can get it back to the dealer. While resting this weekend you might dig through the manual and look for the reset procedure.
Something is loose or not exactly correct with the thermostat and/or wiring.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely be in touch with the dealer when we get back and have them look at it if I am still having trouble with it. I figure its a new unit and you are bound to uncover issues for the first few outings. Not overly concerned right now. Thanks again!
Old 10-18-2016, 01:11 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Sounds like either a loose connection, bad control board or bad thermostat. Mine works the way it should. If your thermostat is similar to mine you can program for a couple of different temperature spreads.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #5

New Jersey
My thermostat is about 3 degrees off. So if I want 66, I set it to 63. RV thermostats are typically not the best, and may cycle too frequently. With the heat, once it hits the desired themperature, the furnace should shut off, but the blower will run a bit longer to dissipate the hot air from the system. We've found that locations close to the furnace get hotter, ex. the bathroom, and locations farther away are colder, ex. garage with one vent. If you have floor vents with adjustable baffles, you can adjust amount of air coming out. If you don't, you can pick them up at places like Home Depot.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #6

Tennessee
Electric space heater ftw! Those crummy RV furnaces eat propane. Of course I only camp where there's shore power.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Electric space heater ftw! Those crummy RV furnaces eat propane. Of course I only camp where there's shore power.
One caveat to that... If the furnace circulates warm air into some hidden spaces and electric heater isn't going to do that. Airstreams are one brand that comes to mind where the furnace puts warm air into the holding tank area, so no furnace on them means frozen holding tanks.

Aaron
Old 10-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
One caveat to that... If the furnace circulates warm air into some hidden spaces and electric heater isn't going to do that. Airstreams are one brand that comes to mind where the furnace puts warm air into the holding tank area, so no furnace on them means frozen holding tanks.

Aaron
True enough, I keep forgetting not everyone has a 22ft camper.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 AM   #9

Texas
Is it 22' dawniewest?

I keep quoting 8X20 = 160

So it's really 8X22? It's a mansion!
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:18 AM   #10

Arizona
I've never tried the Auto feature. If I want heat I set it to Furnace.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:20 AM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Is it 22' dawniewest?

I keep quoting 8X20 = 160

So it's really 8X22? It's a mansion!
It's a "213", so technically it's a 21' 3" box. Don't forget the square footage of the slide out dinette, that adds a few.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
I've never tried the Auto feature. If I want heat I set it to Furnace.
The Auto is on the fan settings. If you have it set to Low or High when on A/C the fan runs constantly. If you leave it set on High or Low and switch to furnace apparently the A/C blower runs when the furnace comes on too.

Aaron
Old 10-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #13

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I have an electric space heater as well; however, like it was also mentioned, I want to prevent the tanks from freezing this weekend. There'll likely be snow on the ground where I'm heading.
I'll continue to play with it this weekend and see if I can figure it out. If not, I'll be back at the dealer next week to have them look at it.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #14

Idaho
Well it seems that the problem with the furnace was not a problem after all. I set the temperature and let it run. It has been holding steady at 67 . Outside temp is around 42. Trailer is very comfortable. I will try to post some pics .