Anyone with experience using Micro Air product for air con? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #1

Montana
Anyone with experience using Micro Air product for air con?

Has anyone installed or have first hand experience with Micro Air products?
Micro-Air - Products
Quote:
EasyStart is therefore the perfect solution that allows an air conditioner or refrigeration compressor to operate on a generator, inverter, or limited utility power when it would otherwise not have functioned. It can also be applied to air compressor and watermaker pump motors.
So the quick summary is that this is an add on product that does much more than throwing a hard start capacitor like the SUPCO SPP6 on to help a marginally capable generator to start the air conditioner. They have a video to document reduced peak current demand during compressor startup which in theory should make it easier for a generator to reliably run the air conditioner.

We strictly boondock and I have decent solar on our camper, so I have not had a need for bringing our Yamaha 2400 generator as a battery charger. The original intent behind buying this generator was to be able to run the air conditioner and I installed an SPP6 capacitor first thing thinking that we'd be good to go. Well I'm sure it helps since there was no start capacitor to begin with but it is hardly reliable when it is really hot or we are at high elevation. Both of those conditions are usually the case when we wish we had air conditioning! So I don't even bring the generator along anymore for our long weekend trips. But seeing this product has me thinking that if it actually works, we could have our air conditioning and be living the high life. It isn't cheap at $318, but it is certainly cheaper and more convenient than buying a bigger generator.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #2

Pennsylvania
The equivalent of an industrial “Soft Start” device. Soft start devices regulate the start surge current with solid state line drivers preventing the huge surges. Soft start devices are very effective and do the job well, I’ve installed many in industrial applications (a bit larger though). My only concern, (which may not be a big deal if the drivers are sufficiently sized) is the device is continuously driving the compressor. In industrial applications I always installed a bypass contactor that takes the soft start out of the circuit after the device is running. It may have that internally..??.. I like it though. Soft starts do work as advertised, real surge regulation and reduction.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #3

Montana
Thanks for the response. I often do some reading and posting on rv.net forums and while I haven't found a thread of a first hand user's experience, there are a few references to "people knowing people who have installed it" type of thing with reported results just as you said. They seem to work. My wife is already on board with this type of investment, so I think I've already decided on getting it but I'm also hoping for real life reviews as well.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I believe there is a thread running on either the Forest River forum or AirForums about this device. Several people have installed it and seem pleased with it. I do have it on my long term list of items to get.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #5

New Jersey
Hello from Micro-Air

Hello everyone. Ewarnerusa - Thank you very much for your post about our EasyStart product. I decided to join your forum so I could answer any questions. I want to be respectful and stay within the rules of your forum, so please don't consider this a sales pitch. My intent is to simply answer any questions so everyone has all the information they need to make their own decisions on how to resolve their own individual situations. As you have all pointed out, there are numerous other threads in other forums across the internet where RV owners are discussing exactly what you are here, including the forums you've mentioned and many others. Out of respect for this forum, I won't mention them by name, but many are publicly readable, so a Google search will turn them up. I have contributed to most of them in the same way I am here.

First, to all of ewarnerusa's points, you are 100% correct. As you saw me demonstrate in the YouTube video, the hard start kit solution doesn't actually reduce the startup current to the compressor, and therefore provides only a very marginal reduction in startup time that may or may not allow a generator to "ride through" the startup spike. There are some out there who have claimed satisfactory results, but the solution is not reliable nor does it correct the real root cause of the problem like EasyStart does. Hundreds of satisfied customers have installed EasyStart with the intent of being able to run their A/C on a single 2000W generator or an solar-charged inverter of equivalent size. Recently, we also discovered there are other benefits as well, like being able to run 2 A/Cs on a single 30A utility cord hookup, which are much more common at campsites than 50A. Also, customers have reported that EasyStart eliminates the loud "thump" that occurs when the compressor starts up, which can sometimes disturb light sleepers. Lastly, touching on the cost, as ewarnerusa wisely pointed out, the alternatives to EasyStart consist of either upsizing your generator or inverter, or buying a second generator, all of which cost far more than an EasyStart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
...My only concern, (which may not be a big deal if the drivers are sufficiently sized) is the device is continuously driving the compressor. In industrial applications I always installed a bypass contactor that takes the soft start out of the circuit after the device is running. It may have that internally..??...
Thompwil - your concern is a valid one, and yes, EasyStart is designed with its own internal bypass power relay that effectively removes it from the power connections to the compressor circuit when the startup sequence is completed. EasyStart does remaining operating though to monitor the real-time current, motor rotation, and incoming AC power, and will shut down the compressor to protect it if any fault conditions occur. No present-day RV A/C digital controller or hard start kit does that! Please refer to the user manual on the website to get more information about these fault protections.

I invite everyone to explore the documentation and the video and the other write-ups. EasyStart is for real, and it really does work. I'm here to answer any questions, so feel free to ask. Thank you again for your interest and consideration.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Awesome that it has the internal bypass contactor. This is a true solution to the age old problem of compressor power surge. On my list of things to get for sure.
Thanks for the info !!

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
Awesome that it has the internal bypass contactor. This is a true solution to the age old problem of compressor power surge. On my list of things to get for sure.
Thanks for the info !!
That feature just moved it further up the priority list for me!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
I'm here to answer any questions, so feel free to ask. Thank you again for your interest and consideration.
Welcome to the best RV forum on the inter-web. It is great to have a direct line to be able to ask questions.

Got any free samples? (Somebody had to ask)
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #9

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Got any free samples? (Somebody had to ask)
Thanks for the kind reception everyone.

One question: What brand and model type of rooftop A/Cs do Dutchmens usually come with from the factory? Dometic or Coleman/Airxcel? High profile (e.g. Dometic Brisk I or II or Coleman Mach 1 or 3) or low-profile (e.g. Dometic Penguin I or II or Coleman Polar Cub or Mach 8)? I ask because this will help me better help you with wiring and installation. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #10

Montana
Thanks micro air! I appreciate reaching out to answer questions. My only apprehension remaining is installing it myself. I'm comfortable tackling it and I can follow instructions, I'm just much more experienced doing DC stuff vs AC.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #11

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
Thanks micro air! I appreciate reaching out to answer questions. My only apprehension remaining is installing it myself. I'm comfortable tackling it and I can follow instructions, I'm just much more experienced doing DC stuff vs AC.
There's always a first time . Have no fear! If you can handle DC wiring and using crimp terminals, then you can handle installing an EasyStart. It's actually quite straightforward, just 4 wires. Accessing the inside of your A/C is easy - just 4 screws holding on the large cover. Finding the electric box is usually pretty obvious from there. Along the way you'll learn about how every single-phase compressor motor in the world gets wired, about run and start windings, and about run and start caps. I'll post an example wiring diagram once I know what brand A/C Dutchmen uses.

P.S. Given Micro-Air's long-standing presence in the marine HVAC world, we have dozens of marine servicing dealers around the country who might be able to help you install an EasyStart into your RV A/C. We're only now beginning to add some RV servicing dealers, and we're always looking to add more.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #12

Montana
My air conditioner is a 13.5 kbtu/hr Dometic unit that came original on my 2012 Aspen Trail 2710BH. I think it is the Brisk Air model but I'm not sure if it is the 1 or 2. I don't have manuals with me at work and I have access to a photo I took of the nameplate when I had it apart to do the SUPCO capacitor install. The beginning of the model number is obscured, but I can see what looks like "57915.701C0" and product number 991762447.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #13

New Jersey
Quote:
My air conditioner is a 13.5 kbtu/hr Dometic unit that came original on my 2012 Aspen Trail 2710BH. I think it is the Brisk Air model but I'm not sure if it is the 1 or 2. I don't have manuals with me at work and I have access to a photo I took of the nameplate when I had it apart to do the SUPCO capacitor install. The beginning of the model number is obscured, but I can see what looks like "57915.701C0" and product number 991762447.
Thank you. No need to dig up your manuals. That's a Dometic Brisk II, and the full model number is B57915.xx1C0. This matches what I suspected given the photos I was looking at on the Dutchmen website.

Attached is a wiring diagram with some basic instructions on how to wire the EasyStart 364 into the Brisk II. The JPG was size limited when uploaded, but the PDF can be read more easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic Brisk II EasyStart 364 Wiring (B59516.711C0).jpg
Views:	3330
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	3883  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic Brisk II EasyStart 364 Wiring (B59516.711C0).pdf (1.03 MB, 218 views)
Old 05-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #14

Michigan
Reviving the thread - anyone install one? What are your thoughts?
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #15

Montana
I still haven't installed mine, but I saw this thread on RV.net recently and subscribed. It is a success story.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: microair easy start results
Old 06-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #16

Michigan
Installed the Easy Start 364 on all three AC units and I am happy. The install was easy and I did see a reduction in start up amperage as promised.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #17

Montana
I installed mine this weekend as well. I was not able to finish all of the"training" cycles but will later today. Then the generator test.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:54 AM   #18

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa
...Then the generator test -> Yamaha 2400.
Generator test was a success! High altitude blazing hot temps will be the true test though.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #19

Montana
Well not high altitude (~4500') but certainly blazing hot temps this weekend on our camp trip. Highs in the mid 90's, but the Yamaha 2400 ran the air conditioner with no issues for several hours each day. Once the temp setpoint was reached, the generator continued to have no problems cycling the compressor as needed. Kill-a-watt showed just under 1700 VA draw at its highest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170714 Beaver Creek camp spot.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	4273  
Old 07-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #20

Michigan
Quote:
Well not high altitude (~4500') but certainly blazing hot temps this weekend on our camp trip. Highs in the mid 90's, but the Yamaha 2400 ran the air conditioner with no issues for several hours each day. Once the temp setpoint was reached, the generator continued to have no problems cycling the compressor as needed. Kill-a-watt showed just under 1700 VA draw at its highest.
Glad you are also having positive results. Still very happy with mine!