Air Conditioner: UPDATE, the vents are not working! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #1

Michigan
Air Conditioner: UPDATE, the vents are not working!

UPDATE:

Still having a slight issue with really good air flow coming from the off door side supply air vent in the front living room. I will be checking that out today when I once again drop the AIR BOX COVER.

Last night I went out to watch some tv, the temp was 80 degrees. Turned on the air unit and set it for 68. It finally shut off about 75 min later and I had to get a blanket.

I would like to do a survey of rigs that are having problems with cooling their rigs down and keeping them cool during the day. I have put together a few questions for you to answer about your experience and attempts to have it fixed as well as responses.

1. MAKE AND MODEL OF YOUR RIG. (i.e. Dutchmen, Infinity 3750FL)

2. PRODUCTION DATE. (i.e. Dec, 2012)

3. MODEL YEAR. (i.e. 2013)

4. NUMBER OF FACTORY INSTALLED UNITS. (i.e. 2)

5. DUCTED OR NON DUCTED AIR DISTRIBUTION BOX. (i.e. non-ducted)

6. ARE THERE "AIR PUCKS" IN THE CEILING. (i.e. yes)

7. DO THEY DISCHARGE "COLD AIR" OR DO THEY "SUCK IN WARM AIR" (i.e. suck in warm air")

8. NUMBER OF VISITS TO DEALER (i.e. 1)

9. RESULTS AFTER VISIT (i.e. poor, works the same. "That is the way they ae".)

10. DID YOU WIND UP FIXING THE PROBLEM YOURSELF AND WHAT DID YOU DO. (i.e. yes fixed my self. put in baffle and took out duct from roof top unit to air distribution box, retaped ceiling vents)

11. WAS YOUR REPAIR SUCCESSFUL. (i.e. yes, all vents are blowing cold air and the unit is cooling down.

Thank you for taking your time.

GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #2

Louisiana
1. MAKE AND MODEL OF YOUR RIG. Dutchmen Voltage 3600

2. PRODUCTION DATE. April 2012

3. MODEL YEAR. 2013

4. NUMBER OF FACTORY INSTALLED UNITS. 2

5. DUCTED OR NON DUCTED AIR DISTRIBUTION BOX. Ducted, no inside air distribution box or "dump" vent

6. ARE THERE "AIR PUCKS" IN THE CEILING. Yes

7. DO THEY DISCHARGE "COLD AIR" OR DO THEY "SUCK IN WARM AIR" After removing the AC from the roof and sealing up the ducts correctly, the vents forward of the AC discharge cold air with good flow. The vents rear of the AC discharge cold air but at a very low rate.

8. NUMBER OF VISITS TO DEALER. 0 (purchased coach 2nd hand from dealer, out of warranty)

9. RESULTS AFTER VISIT. N/A

10. DID YOU WIND UP FIXING THE PROBLEM YOURSELF AND WHAT DID YOU DO. I retaped and sealed both ducts by removing the AC from the roof. (I do not have access from the ceiling inside the RV.)

11. WAS YOUR REPAIR SUCCESSFUL. 50% successful. The vents forward of the AC blow 10x the air they did before. The vents rear of the AC show no improvement.

This is really interesting. I wish I had the schematics of the ductwork in the ceiling of my RV. When I removed my AC from the roof there was a duct on the left and right sides of the hole. Logic would say the left duct feeds the left vents and the right duct feeds the right vents. However, after doing the retaping and resealing, the vents forward of the AC (left and right) improved while the ones behind did not. So now I'm thinking that one feeds the front and one feeds the back, and whichever one feeds the back vents must have other leaks.

I also have the 2nd bedroom AC which is supposed to compliment the main AC through connected ductwork.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #3

Ohio
These re the vents in the Kodiak we have an advent ac 15 k at 95f it was so cold we froze at night had to cover up it was cold it even shook the grill on the back and the microwave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac ducts.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodiak back.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	648  
kodiak 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:46 AM   #4

California
1. MAKE AND MODEL OF YOUR RIG. (i.e. Dutchmen, Infinity 3750FL) Dutchmen Voltage 3950

2. PRODUCTION DATE. (i.e. Dec, 2012) June 2012

3. MODEL YEAR. (i.e. 2013) 2013

5. DUCTED OR NON DUCTED AIR DISTRIBUTION BOX. (i.e. non-ducted) Ducted

6. ARE THERE "AIR PUCKS" IN THE CEILING. (i.e. yes) Yes

7. DO THEY DISCHARGE "COLD AIR" OR DO THEY "SUCK IN WARM AIR" (i.e. suck in warm air") Cold air. Measured at 69 degrees on an 85 degree day in So Cal

8. NUMBER OF VISITS TO DEALER (i.e. 1) ZERO

9. RESULTS AFTER VISIT (i.e. poor, works the same. "That is the way they ae".) NA

10. DID YOU WIND UP FIXING THE PROBLEM YOURSELF AND WHAT DID YOU DO. (i.e. yes fixed my self. put in baffle and took out duct from roof top unit to air distribution box, retaped ceiling vents) Haven't done anything. Stuff just works like it was meant to work. I didn't get a lemon.

11. WAS YOUR REPAIR SUCCESSFUL. (i.e. yes, all vents are blowing cold air and the unit is cooling down. Working without repair, but now I'm wondering if it could be even better than it is. Someday I will pull the AC unit and have a look inside just to satisfy my curiosity.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #5

Texas
We have a 2013 Kodiak 300BHSL one a/c I figured out why it's not cooling in the back bedroom and living room. After the fix now I have double the air in the back bed room and living room. Very simple fix. I will post how to with pictures in a few days.
Clay507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #6

Arizona
Voltage V3905

Not sure

Ducted main room, non ducted in forward bedroom.

Yes

7. DO THEY DISCHARGE "COLD AIR" OR DO THEY "SUCK IN WARM AIR" (i.e. suck in warm air")
Discharge cold

0, made a call to dealer, no response. Bought used

NA

10. DID YOU WIND UP FIXING THE PROBLEM YOURSELF AND WHAT DID YOU DO. (i.e. yes fixed my self. put in baffle and took out duct from roof top unit to air distribution box, retaped ceiling vents)
Sort of, retaped roof connection, found unfinished cuts and popped them out. The inside ceiling had collapsed, pushed it up and placed a wedge.

11. WAS YOUR REPAIR SUCCESSFUL. (i.e. yes, all vents are blowing cold air and the unit is cooling down.
It's better, but not that good still.
jdmedhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:47 AM   #7

Texas
2013 KODIAK 300 BHSL

Not sure

Ducted

Yes

Discharge cold

WORKS PER FACTORY SPEC.

Sealed off areas.

11. WAS YOUR REPAIR SUCCESSFUL. (i.e. yes, all vents are blowing cold air and the unit is cooling.
WORKS GREAT

Old 06-09-2014, 03:48 AM   #8

Texas
I have a 2013 300HBSL with the 15kBTU Advent. Noting but problems keeping the unit cool. Temp inside RV will like to 83 degree when the outside temp is only 92. It's been 3 times and still unable to fix AC unit. Not happy with this unit..... :-(

2013 Dutchman Kodiak 300BHSL
2012 F350 4x4 Diesel
JLindner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, duct work, not cooling, not working