Air conditioner blowing 72f - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #1

Tennessee
Air conditioner blowing 72f

Good lord, the wheels are coming off. Air was working fine, then it would shut off and turn back on after 30 seconds or so. Didn't give it much thought until today, it's 85f 60% humidity, the camper is 83f 60% humidity with the air set at 74 with the fan on auto. Air coming out of the unit is 72f. Freon leak? Not really dripping off the roof like it normally did.

It's a 15,000btu dometic on a 22' camper. Should be overkill.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #2

South Carolina
Yes, it could be Freon. But first check the foam "air filters" at the bottom. Usually an easy turn of the screw for the bottom to drop down into the living area. The foam filters can be reverse-vacuumed or even shaken and flushed with hot water. I'm no AC expert, but it seems like the output should be down in the 60's-degree range. But if all your air flow is good, inside and out, and you're not getting cold, then it is the unit; most likely Freon leak.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:24 AM   #3

Tennessee
Yeah, I cleaned it a few weeks back. It was blowing in the low 40's when it was "new" months back. I found out that my warranty is 2 years on it since I registered it online. If not you're screwed at a year.

Time for a road trip back to the dealer.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:01 AM   #4

Nevada
Being that it is 60% humidity sounds like your coils might be frozen.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:08 AM   #5

South Carolina
That's a good call. Very well could happen if you've been running your AC at low fan speed. Just turn the AC to "fan only" for an hour, then back to cool. That hour would have defrosted the tubes if they were froze up.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:33 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Just had similar situation with m y new dutchmen trailer. Ac worked fine under light load, but with hot humid and extended run time, it started blowing warmer air out of vents. started checking things and found evaporator completely froze over, thus not allowing air flow through it. With further checking I found the defrost sensor was not touching the evaporator fins. I re positioned it, and now system seems to be OK.
wis-redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wis-redneck View Post
Just had similar situation with m y new dutchmen trailer. Ac worked fine under light load, but with hot humid and extended run time, it started blowing warmer air out of vents. started checking things and found evaporator completely froze over, thus not allowing air flow through it. With further checking I found the defrost sensor was not touching the evaporator fins. I re positioned it, and now system seems to be OK.
I wish I had thought of that. Just took it to the dealer today, hopefully they can figure it out. Since it's 100 mile round trip, i'm sure they can fix it in 5 minutes.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #8

Tennessee
Got a brand new unit installed in one week, some kind of factory defect. It's like the inside of a sno cone machine in there.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #9

South Carolina
Stopped in Savannah on the way home from Ocala. Across from us was an older Airstream having A/C work done to it. Interesting thing was that the A/C was actually quite fine; the electrical system wasn't feeding it proper power according to the techs. Likely a bad breaker that wouldn't reset properly or consistently.
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Got a brand new unit installed in one week, some kind of factory defect. It's like the inside of a sno cone machine in there.
Aren't you the lucky one. My ac quit working 5 weeks ago. It took me a week to call my hvac guy. He ordered it the next day and I still don't have an air conditioner. Latest word is that it shipped four days ago. Let's hope it is the correct unit.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote