AC update.. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #1

Arizona
AC update..

my AC has been down since last summer,,, we fly ( haha) for vacation and hotel it, after twice across America, towing does not seem to be my thing,, anyhow, finally got my SIL up on top ( I have new knees, kneeling is a B),, and he found the wires on top of compressor fried,, filed smooth the contact, new teflon coated wires with new heavy connectors ( wire added to existing junk) and back in business.. I know manufacturers cut cost, but at what they charge for an AC unit ( compared to a home window unit, ) Is ridiculous..

anyhow, this might help others, otherwise unit looked great ( Dometic), Happy trails.

rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #2

Texas
Glad it was a relatively easy fix. Wiring is well worth checking out for all of us. I have seen some posts about how the wiring is run in the unit and vibrating, causing shorts when the insulation wears through.
The wiring in the underbelly of my TT is no better. A couple of things I wonder were they done on purpose to cause issues later. Of all the wiring going past the freshwater tank, one was run through the tank support framing and being severely pinched (power for rear slide motor). This would have been a short if it had gone much longer with the tank crushing it in the frames. How do you not wire up the ground for the freshwater and black tank levels and leave one of the sensors (ground) out of the black tank?