12 volt or battery operated small fan - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #1

California
12 volt or battery operated small fan

Has anyone had any luck with small battery or 12v fans. I am looking as some for our next dry camping.

Would like something that move some air around but not really "cool" off the entire rig.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:06 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
Has anyone had any luck with small battery or 12v fans. I am looking as some for our next dry camping.

Would like something that move some air around but not really "cool" off the entire rig.
We use the Fantastic fans to cool down the camper. Open a window on the shaded side of the camper and put the fan on low. It brings the cooler air in and exhausts the hot ceiling air.
Keep the shades pulled on the sunnyside of the coach and you heat gain is reduced.

The problem with the same 12 V fans is your just moving the warmed air around, not getting rid of it.

Before I added roof top solar, I used one of the portable suitcase style panels. It kept the batteries topped up so running all day was not a problem.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #3

California
WE do not have the roof vent, except in bathroom. I was looking for this to move some air while we are sleeping or trying to.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
WE do not have the roof vent, except in bathroom. I was looking for this to move some air while we are sleeping or trying to.
I would highly recommend that you put one in! The Fantastic Vents are the way to go and would be well worth the money. Do a great job of cooling everything down.

The only 12 volt fan I have ever found that was worth the money and moved air is the Fantastic Vent Endless Breeze. We have two of them that we have used over the years. Not cheap, but can usually be found on Amazon for under $70usd.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:39 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I would highly recommend that you put one in! The Fantastic Vents are the way to go and would be well worth the money. Do a great job of cooling everything down.

The only 12 volt fan I have ever found that was worth the money and moved air is the Fantastic Vent Endless Breeze. We have two of them that we have used over the years. Not cheap, but can usually be found on Amazon for under $70usd.

Aaron
Ordered the fan until I can get the vents fan installed. Will check on that .

Old 04-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Bathroom vent will do the same thing, you just leave the bathroom door open. If you have the small one speed, one direction fan in the bathroom, there is an upgrade available for the single speed fan, I did one in our bathroom, well worth the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Roof-Vent-Vort...N%3DB00APSSPEA

The upgrade fan kit is installed from the inside, so your not messing with the roof for the install.

It helps to cool the camper down faster, when you are on power and run the AC, by exhausting the hot air at the ceiling.

We are off the grid probably 75% of the time and it is not often that I have to fire up the generator to make DW happy.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Bathroom vent will do the same thing, you just leave the bathroom door open. If you have the small one speed, one direction fan in the bathroom, there is an upgrade available for the single speed fan, I did one in our bathroom, well worth the price.

Robot Check

The upgrade fan kit is installed from the inside, so your not messing with the roof for the install.

It helps to cool the camper down faster, when you are on power and run the AC, by exhausting the hot air at the ceiling.

We are off the grid probably 75% of the time and it is not often that I have to fire up the generator to make DW happy.
Ordered and got the fan installed, what an improvement in air flow.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Ordered and got the fan installed, what an improvement in air flow.

Helps get heat into the bathroom, if you don't have a heat vent, as well. Just crack open the lid and run it on the slowest speed. It'll pull in warm air.