12-volt fridges?! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2022, 06:37 PM   #1

Utah
12-volt fridges?!

If there is another thread somewhere on this, apologies for not see it and thank you for directing me.

I am not having any issues, but rather a general question about refrigerators in travel trailers.

We have LOVED having a fridge that operates on shore power OR propane. But I am now seeing that newer travel trailers are only coming with a 12-volt fridge only (no gas option). I am struggling to understand how this works. When we dry camp or boondock, it seems like this would suck the life out of my batteries in no time. Currently, I am able to go for 5 days before firing up the generator or solar panels to recharge my 210-Ah LFP battery bank.

Let me know what you guys/gals think. Is this the future of RV fridges?

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:46 PM   #2

California
Not sure but I have heard they are starting to include residential fridges in some RV’s now that only work on 110 v AC and this require and inverter and also are energy hogs for boondocking.

They are cheaper and this manufacturer love them. Propane fridges are pricey and have issues frequently.

Residential fridges are not a good option in my opinion unless you only use shore power like in a campground, if not heavy generator use will be required to constantly top up batteries.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:12 PM   #3

Utah
These are not residential fridges, but still the small ones in small travel trailers (as short as 16 ft) but as long as 35 ft. Many fridges no longer come with the gas option, and are only ran by the 12 volt batteries when dry camping. It is an industry trend, I believe, and I was wondering what experiences or thoughts people have had.
Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:44 PM   #4

Michigan
12 volt frig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
These are not residential fridges, but still the small ones in small travel trailers (as short as 16 ft) but as long as 35 ft. Many fridges no longer come with the gas option, and are only ran by the 12 volt batteries when dry camping. It is an industry trend, I believe, and I was wondering what experiences or thoughts people have had.
The new trailers are coming with 12 volt residential refrigerators, and the work exactly like a residential refrigerator except they are 12 volt. When you see one you will immediately notice it has a much larger capacity, because all those fins are gone. I don't know about battery life, but they don't run continuously, they shut on and off just like a residential 110 ac does. Here's a link about the efficiency compared to the propanep.
https://www.mortonsonthemove.com/12-...0for%20an%20RV.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:51 PM   #5

Colorado
12v compressor fridges

I have been using the modern 12V compressor (Danfoss or Secop) fridges and cooler for several years now, and love them. They have a few unique characteristics that make them great for RVs
1) They are actually designed to bounce down the road in an RV. Most residential fridges can't stand up to the bouncing and jouncing.
2) The 12v compressors fridges are designed to be very efficient, since they depend on battery power. Residential fridges generally are not, except maybe the Energy Star rated fridges.
3) They work really well compared to the typical RV gas absorption fridge. No problems with altitude or hot weather (or extreme cold weather). The coolers can actually be set to 5F, making them a great freezer.
4) You don't need to have the propane on while driving.
5) They can handle operating on tilts up to 20%. That would burn up (or shut down) your propane fridge.

My 18qt cooler uses about 250W/24hours, or about 20AH per day. My 4.5cf fridge uses about 500W/24hrs, or about 40AH per day. My new 10cf fridge claims to need only 600W/24hrs, or 50AH per day, but I haven't taken data on it yet.

I use the indel B brand, not the cheap Chinese junk you see on Amazon or ebay.

Hope this is helpful.
leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:48 PM   #6

Arizona
I've heard they average around 4 to 5 amp/hrs. Since they don't run continuously, unless in very hot weather, you can probably see less than 50/amps per day. This means you will run your gen or solar more often, but the benefits may far out way that for you.

I'm looking into it even though my stock fridge is 8 years old and holding up well in the Arizona heat!!

The Amish, if I understand correctly, are making replacement systems for stock RV fridges. Take out the old, mount the new. Might be less$$, but maybe not. I don't know.
David
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:23 PM   #7

Arizona
Rv fridges of old were an interesting concept, they had Ammonia in them, low boiling point, the " Bulb" would boil the liquid ammonia and cycle thru the system, much like other refrigeration but doing it at a much lower pressure,, less leaks but maybe other problems.. you can google them for more info.. I would assume the new 12 volt do something similiar ( I have a 50 yo old rf fridge that quit a few tears ago that was all three, 120v, 12 volt and propane)
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:40 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2481 View Post
Rv fridges of old were an interesting concept, they had Ammonia in them, low boiling point, the " Bulb" would boil the liquid ammonia and cycle thru the system, much like other refrigeration but doing it at a much lower pressure,, less leaks but maybe other problems.. you can google them for more info.. I would assume the new 12 volt do something similiar ( I have a 50 yo old rf fridge that quit a few tears ago that was all three, 120v, 12 volt and propane)

At one time Tucson had a real gas refrigerator mechanic. He didn't replace what he couldn't rebuild or recharge. The guy was like a mad scientist when he was recharging units. Tanks here and there, glass tubes and gauges and valves. It was a treat to watch him work, if he allowed you in the back of the shop.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:30 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Lots of good advice above!
  • Some owners are installing residential compressor refrigerators.
  • Some owners are installing RV compressor refrigerators.
  • Compressor refrigerators cost a lot less than ammonia absorption refrigerators.
  • Add enough battery power to run the compressor refrigerator for your required 5 days.
  • Maybe this is a good time to convert to Lithium house batteries and proper charging equipment. Oh wait, now it costs more than an absorption refrigerator.
  • Some owners primarily stay at places with available grid power. Compressor refrigerators work better.
  • Some owners boondock with them. They often camp where shade is not an issue and install enough solar they can stay indefinitely.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:27 PM   #10

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
If there is another thread somewhere on this, apologies for not see it and thank you for directing me.

I am not having any issues, but rather a general question about refrigerators in travel trailers.

We have LOVED having a fridge that operates on shore power OR propane. But I am now seeing that newer travel trailers are only coming with a 12-volt fridge only (no gas option). I am struggling to understand how this works. When we dry camp or boondock, it seems like this would suck the life out of my batteries in no time. Currently, I am able to go for 5 days before firing up the generator or solar panels to recharge my 210-Ah LFP battery bank.

Let me know what you guys/gals think. Is this the future of RV fridges?
I don't have any experience, but here is a thread on another forum that has grown to several pages. Seems to me, as a 100% boondocker, that absorption (propane) fridge is still the best option for my needs. Some one in that thread made a description that I think makes sense - something like a 12V fridge is more efficient as far as energy required to make a cold space, but it is a form of energy that is less convenient to carry around (batteries/solar/generator).

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/30309611.cfm