Water pressure regulator - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #1

Illinois
Water pressure regulator

Anyone not using a water pressure regulator have any plumbing issues due to higher pressure. I bought a 40 psi regulator but am not happy with the amount of water we get at the faucets. I never used a regulator in our Tiffin Zephyr motorhome and never had an issue. Those I’ve spoken to in the 5th wheel world said you really need to use a regulator. ???

Yellowcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #2

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowcorvette View Post
Anyone not using a water pressure regulator have any plumbing issues due to higher pressure. I bought a 40 psi regulator but am not happy with the amount of water we get at the faucets. I never used a regulator in our Tiffin Zephyr motorhome and never had an issue. Those I’ve spoken to in the 5th wheel world said you really need to use a regulator. ???
You are rolling the dice without one. At the very least, you better turn them on before you hook up. If the water starts "blasting" out, then what are you going tt do as you realize there is a good chance the pressure is way too high? Better hope you got one in reserve... And pressure can change... As you note, you got away with it for a long time... But all it takes is once and blown lines inside and remember, the older the lines get, the more brittle the connections over time... And have you looked at those things? Crimped fittings, hard plastic pressure fit??? Better safe than sorry is my motto, I spent a lot of money on the trailer... And yes, there are posts out there on various forums by people who learned the lesson the hard way...

Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:42 PM   #3

Wyoming
Quote:
I dare say that your 5th wheel is not built anywhere near the standard that your Tiffin was.

Yes, you should use a regulator… but, like you, I wasn’t happy with the pre-set type.. So I went out and got an adjustable one like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	67D768AE-E7C0-4B78-A840-8D50F6564DFB.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	6883

I’m told that the plumbing system should be able to easily withstand 60psi, and that’s what I have mine set for. I’m happy with both the flow rate & pressure in my rig, and I’ve not had any problems for the 5 years I’ve been using it.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #4

Florida
Get the one with the oil filled gauge. 33.00 well spent. They are adjustable for pressure.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:20 PM   #5

Illinois
Thanks for the reply’s. I will invest in a better regulator.
Yellowcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #6

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I dare say that your 5th wheel is not built anywhere near the standard that your Tiffin was.

Yes, you should use a regulator… but, like you, I wasn’t happy with the pre-set type.. So I went out and got an adjustable one like this:

Attachment 6883

I’m told that the plumbing system should be able to easily withstand 60psi, and that’s what I have mine set for. I’m happy with both the flow rate & pressure in my rig, and I’ve not had any problems for the 5 years I’ve been using it.
Nice...
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:33 PM   #7

North Carolina
Oil filled gauge definitely better, having had both. As for the need of having one? The voltage I have has all pex lines however the fittings are plastic where residential uses brass. I use the regulator due to quality control of the units and low quality fixtures. Better safe then sorry I guess.
1997 keystone Cougar gone but not forgotten
Snafu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:01 PM   #8

New York
What I do is not opening the water facet all the way, so far so good.
rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:10 PM   #9

British Columbia
After blowing a fitting on the toilet because of excess pressure, I installed a basic regulator and have had no issues since.
Pop! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:43 PM   #10

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
By the time it reaches your faucets the damage will have been done. I'd re-think that process if I was you.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:51 AM   #11

Wisconsin
Quote:
Lots of good advice above.

I don't usually use the regulator that I carry. I fill my tank at home most of the time. House pressure of my well system varies between 23 an 55 pounds.

Many other posters have reported pressures as high as 90 pounds at some campgrounds. My brother is a plumber in Madison Wisconsin. He say he has installed regulators because the city pressure was over 90 pounds at some locations.. You never know. Do you feel lucky?

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:04 AM   #12

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
What that does is restrict the flow not lower the pressure. If you have a flow the pressure will drop but if the flow stops then the pressure will rise such that the flow restriction has no effect compared to a regulator which uses a spring to control a value and the pressure that way.
kimbo@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:47 AM   #13

New York
After reading all this , I decided to get one , any recommendation ?
Old 06-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #14

California
I have the one ATCguy posted a pic of in his response above. Works great and it is adjustable. I keep mine about 55-60.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #15

New York
thank you
Old 08-12-2021, 09:07 PM   #16

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

Attachment 6883

Got one of those for my trailer recently, it works great and nice peace of mind.

ShadowLight is offline   Reply With Quote