Shutting off propane at the tank? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #1

Indiana
Shutting off propane at the tank?

So I am fairly new to the whole travel trailer scene and have a question about the propane. Is it recommended to turn off the propane at the tank any time the trailer will be sitting for a while or while towing it? I know the fridge takes propane to run while not plugged in, so you would need to leave it on if you are traveling with food, or is the normal practice to turn it off and leave the refrigerator/freezer doors shut for the drive time to keep stuff cold/dozen?

Thanks

Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #2

Tennessee
I open mine before the first trip of the year and shut them off when I winterize. I don't have kids or go to gas stations, so I feel relatively safe.

There's nothing wrong with shutting them off after a trip, I just got tired of forgetting to turn them back on all the time.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #3

Florida
I make it a point to turn my propane valves off. Just seems safer that way. there is a thread somewhere that discusses keeping your fridge running on propane when you travel. Consensus was, some do, most don't. They cool the fridge then put things in it then travel to the destination then cool it again.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #4

Indiana
Thanks for the input. I had been traveling with them on. I just turned them on prior to the first outing and left it, but then started thinking about leaks etc.

What got me thinking was that sometimes I smell a faint propane odor when I go into the trailer after it sitting closed up for a while. I went though and checked all my connections with soapy water and didn’t find any leaks. I also added a cap to the fridge tank valve since the previous owner just turned the valve off and left it when he swapped in a residential fridge in place of the RV 3 way one.

The weird thing is that it is very inconsistent. 5 times in a row there is no odor, then 2 times in a row there will be. I am investing in a propane detector just in case.

So my next question is this.....when the previous owner put in the new fridge he removed any barrier between the outside access and the fridge. So basically I can see directly into the trailer if I open the outside fridge vent/door and look through the gap under/beside the fridge. Should there be some kind of barrier there? I wonder because that is where I found the odor to be the strongest and all the other gas appliances are set up with barriers. I also noticed that I pretty much do not have any gas connections inside the trailer. It is a solid copper line from the supply pipe under the trailer to where it connects to the valve for the furnace/water heater.

Also, the first time I noticed the smell was when I ran the AC quite a bit. The air intake pulled air from inside the trailer, so if there was no barrier on the fridge it would be puking air though that as well.

Thoughts?
Old 10-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #5

Florida
Personally, I would think there would be a barrier, for nothing else than keeping bugs and varmits out. I looked at my fridge connections and everything this week and it was completely sealed with particle board and foam insulation. By the way, a propane and a CO2 detector as well as a fire alarm is a very good, if not great, investment.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #6

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Personally, I would think there would be a barrier, for nothing else than keeping bugs and varmits out. I looked at my fridge connections and everything this week and it was completely sealed with particle board and foam insulation. By the way, a propane and a CO2 detector as well as a fire alarm is a very good, if not great, investment.

Thanks. I was kinda thinking I should seal it off.

I currently have a couple of those combo CO2/smoke detectors in the trailer just to be safe. Pretty sure they aren’t propane though.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
Thanks. I was kinda thinking I should seal it off.

I currently have a couple of those combo CO2/smoke detectors in the trailer just to be safe. Pretty sure they aren’t propane though.
propane is a different detector that would be connected and installed near the bottom close to the floor inside. One of the things I would not scrimp on.

https://www.campingworld.com/electro...arms-detectors

I'm thinking about putting a second one in.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

Wyoming
My valves have been open for over 5 years now... and I’ve always left my refrigerator on, allowing it the switch between AC & propane during travel. Never had an issue with either. Take from that what you will.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
My valves have been open for over 5 years now... and I’ve always left my refrigerator on, allowing it the switch between AC & propane during travel. Never had an issue with either. Take from that what you will.
Like I mentioned, some do, some don't!
Old 10-25-2018, 05:37 PM   #10

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
So I am fairly new to the whole travel trailer scene and have a question about the propane. Is it recommended to turn off the propane at the tank any time the trailer will be sitting for a while or while towing it? I know the fridge takes propane to run while not plugged in, so you would need to leave it on if you are traveling with food, or is the normal practice to turn it off and leave the refrigerator/freezer doors shut for the drive time to keep stuff cold/dozen?

Thanks

I shut mine off when I know its going to sit for a while. It is stored at home.

The only problem I have found is that when I want my refrigerator to run on propane for the next trip. It wont start unless I "prime" it by lighting the stove and running propane through the pipes. Stove is right next to fridge. And that takes a minute or so. I pay attention to propane smell and open doors and run fans

That kind of tells me that the Propane in the pipes is seeping out. Maybe (hopefully) very slowly. Otherwise, why the priming???

The propane alarm does not go off. I did test the alarm once, so I know it works.

Maybe someone can shed light on my theory or shoot holes in it.

Have fun
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
I shut mine off when I know its going to sit for a while. It is stored at home.

The only problem I have found is that when I want my refrigerator to run on propane for the next trip. It wont start unless I "prime" it by lighting the stove and running propane through the pipes. Stove is right next to fridge. And that takes a minute or so. I pay attention to propane smell and open doors and run fans

That kind of tells me that the Propane in the pipes is seeping out. Maybe (hopefully) very slowly. Otherwise, why the priming???

The propane alarm does not go off. I did test the alarm once, so I know it works.

Maybe someone can shed light on my theory or shoot holes in it.

Have fun
Bill
I have to PRIME my hot water heater with lighting the stove for a second. No leaks. I have a house in Georgia and the same thing happens when I have the propane shut off for the summer. GETS LOTS OF AIR in the pipe.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:45 AM   #12

California
I turn my propane off when not in use. I usually turn it back on the night before I travel and turn on the fridge to LP while the fridge is empty to cool it down 12 hours or so before I leave and load the fridge. It cools much better when empty and I try to not put stuff in the fridge unless it is already cold.

I have heard that traveling with propane turned on is not all that safe but I leave mine on anyway.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:25 PM   #13

Wyoming
I have seen too many RV's burnt out on the side of the highway. Turn off the propane when travelling, use ice blocks you can freeze yourself in the freezer for when travelling. Just think about if you have a vehicle accident that ruptures a gas line. Do you really want to add a propane leak to an already bad situation?
The "It won't happen to me" scenario just doesn't cut it for me- or all those burnt out RV's.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #14

Indiana
Thanks for everyone’s input. Just to be safe I will probably begin turning off my propane when I travel.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I have seen too many RV's burnt out on the side of the highway..

How many RV’s have you seen burnt out on the side of the highway because of propane fires caused by accidents that you know are the result of refrigerators turned on while towing?

While I don’t disagree that it would be safer to travel with propane turned off and it is probably a good idea to do so I just can’t believe this is a regular occurrence for you.

Again, not trying to start a fight or be a jerk because I agree you are probably right but just curious how man you have seen.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #16

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
How many RV’s have you seen burnt out on the side of the highway because of propane fires caused by accidents that you know are the result of refrigerators turned on while towing?
I wondered the same thing. I just picture a long stretch of road with hundreds of smoldering rv frames.

Regardless if you have the tanks turned on or not, you still have 2 potential bombs strapped to the front of the RV. The only way to be 100% safe way would be to ship empty tanks to every site you visited or buy new ones every trip after you arrived. Never gonna happen.

You have a far better chance of getting killed on the way to work or flying cross country.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #17

Florida
Inquiring minds want to know....

https://www.arprv.com/rv-fire-cause-and-prevention.php
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post

Interesting website trying to sell a fridge cutoff that was really not about towing safety but more about fires related to propane fridges and risks of using fridge while not level. Seems legit but not really on the subject of “is it safe to tow with propane on?”

If it was easy to install I might get one though and would love to do the one with the fans but I don’t want to have to cut into places to install something.

Have you installed one?
Old 10-31-2018, 05:42 PM   #19

Colorado
It's been long debated: To operate or not operate fridge while in tow.

I don't do it.

I have family members who have done it for years and don't worry about it. The chances of you being in a big enough accident, where the propane line to the fridge becomes a problem...well, you've probably got several other big problems to worry about, including wreckage, gasoline and the actual propane tanks on the front of your rig exploding.

Again...I don't do it. I feel (maybe falsely) safer and just like the routine of having everything shut off while driving or in storage. I shut my propane off to my grill at home too when I'm not flipping burgers.

I've driven for about 6-8 hours without service to the fridge. I let it cool for a day or so, then put frozen bottles of Gatorade in the fridge and freezer, along with some of those good blue ice packs (Less than $5 bucks). Had frozen food, including ice cream sammies at my last destination.
barrieb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:18 PM   #20

Alabama
I have never used propane to cool my frig. Before a trip I turn on the fridge with AC a day and half before leaving. Unless you are opening it a lot, you can go a good 800 miles with no effect on the food or ice cubes. I have seen too many burned up RVs along the road side. Not because the propane caused it, when the fire got to it, there was no hope.

Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote