Shower water in black tank - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2016, 02:16 AM   #1

Ohio
Shower water in black tank

I purchased a new 2016 Coleman lantern series 262bh and have learned that the shower actually drains into the black tank. Fills up rather quickly I might add. Is there a conversion kit or a way someone might know how to run the drain to the grey tank? Thanks, Jim

Jim t h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:32 AM   #2

South Carolina
I would take it back and have the dealer fix it. It is NOT supposed to be that way! Over time you'll learn there might be ways of dealing with gray water, in different areas, but there is ONLY ONE way of dealing with black water. (approved sewage receptacle) Besides, you don't want to be standing in the shower when the tank fills up around your feet!

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:58 AM   #3

Ohio
It states in my owners manual that some models were plumbed this way. I know it shouldn't work like that but they covered themselves in their manual.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:13 AM   #4

Ohio
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160917_230207405.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	3607
Old 09-18-2016, 03:20 AM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim t h View Post
It states in my owners manual that some models were plumbed this way. I know it shouldn't work like that but they covered themselves in their manual.
I would say that's an after-mistake "cop out." Were you told about this when you bought it? If so, was it in writing? (Remember, you didn't get the Owner's Manual until you took delivery, and you couldn't have expected this!) What does the gray tank do, just the kitchen sink? I would get a lawyer, and start working on a class-action suit. This is just wrong, wrong, wrong! You have a beautiful TT, but if you put 1/2 the people in there that it is designed for, you'll be limited to full hook-up sites.
Looking at your floorplan, it is a long way from the bathroom shower and sink to the area of the kitchen sink. Even so, I would raise holy H*ll!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:43 AM   #6

Ohio
Thanks Marty. Your right on all accounts. Only the kitchen sink drains to the grey tank. I didn't realize it was plumbed this way until a 400 mile trip to Wildwood NJ. I was n shock. Thats when I opened up the manual and found out. Needless to say after a few showers we would be standing in water. I will look into it and see OK there is something we can do. Otherwise we rely love this camper.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Out of curiosity I looked on line for a owners manual from 2014
Dutchmen Manufacturing Owner’s Manual 4/1/2014
The wording in that manual for the gray water tank was the same as what was posted above.

It would appear that this has been going on for some time with Dutchman and are well aware of this
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
It is called cutting corners. Rather than to to the expense of putting in a second gray water tank back where the shower is they opted to dump it into the existing black tank with out increasing the size of it.

IMHO it is flat our wrong and is a health hazard. Good luck on getting Dutchman/Thor to do anything about it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Canned response, It was built as designed. I've heard it before.