Replacing grey water tank - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2017, 12:04 AM   #1

Pennsylvania
Replacing grey water tank

I need to replace the grey water tank on my 1997 Dutchmen Classic GL (repair failed, so need to replace). I was wondering if someone had some insight on how much of a pain it is, primarily when it comes to handling the plumbing on top of the tank. It does not look difficult to drop the tank. Do I need to pull out the bathroom vanity to access the inlet plumbing from inside the camper? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Jvog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Depends on how it was installed at the factory. I have had some that were simply slip connections on top, some were fastened with no-hubs and clamps and few were actually glued in. When they build the units the tanks go in first, then the plumbing, then the finish cabinetry. You can try and drop the tank and see if you can get it far enough down to disconnect the stuff. If you are lucky that will work, otherwise pull the cabinet far enough apart to get to the fittings.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Depends on how it was installed at the factory. I have had some that were simply slip connections on top, some were fastened with no-hubs and clamps and few were actually glued in. When they build the units the tanks go in first, then the plumbing, then the finish cabinetry. You can try and drop the tank and see if you can get it far enough down to disconnect the stuff. If you are lucky that will work, otherwise pull the cabinet far enough apart to get to the fittings.

Aaron
Thanks. It turns out the HT293 LH drain tank that I need is on backorder. I really need to get this done, any tips or tricks on potentially using a different style tank? Maybe one that drains in the center instead of on the left?
Old 05-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #4

Nevada
Jvog, Any tank will work, but tank holders, plumbing, size, etc may be a start of a bigger job, Have you looked at finding a used tank, if not, take it to a boat shop, they are the best at redoing fiberglass?
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Jvog, Any tank will work, but tank holders, plumbing, size, etc may be a start of a bigger job, Have you looked at finding a used tank, if not, take it to a boat shop, they are the best at redoing fiberglass?
Bought the camper used, it has an attempt at a flexseal repair on the tank. Pretty sure that stuff is impossible to get off so I don't think anyone could repair it. It's a LH drain which seems to be less common, I haven't seen any used ones.

I'm thinking I could go to a center drain, I just need to make sure the gap between the grey and black tanks is large enough for me to get an elbow in there and run a pipe to the LH side.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #6

Nevada
Jvog, No they would cut out the bad, and replace it with a new section, if you can find a shop to do it, I just replaced a water tank in a boat, and it had a broken connection and they were able to fix it.....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Jvog, No they would cut out the bad, and replace it with a new section, if you can find a shop to do it, I just replaced a water tank in a boat, and it had a broken connection and they were able to fix it.....
Ok thanks I'll have to look into it. My tank is ABS though , not fiberglass. Not sure if that matters.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvog View Post
Thanks. It turns out the HT293 LH drain tank that I need is on backorder. I really need to get this done, any tips or tricks on potentially using a different style tank? Maybe one that drains in the center instead of on the left?
Several options, you can use a different brand of tank, it is possible to use something with a different outlet if you have the clearance. Icon Direct and Plastic Mart are a couple that I am aware of, there is also several places that will build custom tanks.

Are you sure your tank is ABS and not just black polyethylene?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Several options, you can use a different brand of tank, it is possible to use something with a different outlet if you have the clearance. Icon Direct and Plastic Mart are a couple that I am aware of, there is also several places that will build custom tanks.

Are you sure your tank is ABS and not just black polyethylene?

Aaron

Honestly I don't know for a fact on the material, I just thought most black tanks were ABS.

Plastic Mart doesn't have the correct size, it looks like Icon Direct does but it's the same tank that's on back order (based on the model #). I'll see if they have one in inventory though, thanks for the link.