Propane connections - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #1

Maryland
Propane connections

Woke up this morning to it being 57 degrees in the coach, went to bed with all the windows open since it was such a nice day out... This is a staunch reminder of the impending winter, with our recent change in venue (from Northern CA to Southern MD), we have been discussing our preparations to deal with the harsher winter living conditions.

I have been looking to pick up a 100lb tank from Lowes, only $115 or so, but I have yet to find a hose connection that would allow me to connect the tank to the green propane nozzle or find a mixing valve (not sure if that is the right term) to connect from the large tank to the already installed tanks. Any ideas?

My other option is to have the local company come out and install a very large 100 gallon tank, which they deliver, provide connections, and fill regularly. I do not like being tied down to a service and having to depend on someone else (plus the park requires tanks larger than 100lbs be professionally installed (a 100 gallon tank, over 400lbs of propane, I can see why)).

Thanks,
Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #2

Oklahoma
An easy way is to buy a longer hose with the ACME nut on it. Connect new hose to the regulator and then to the big tank.
That will leave you with a loose 30 pounder to use as a back up tank. You'll need it living up there.
I usually fill the big tank before winter and set it aside. I go back to the two 30 pounders and leave the big guy for back up. When it snows and you can't go the big tank comes in handy.

Oh yeah, you can get the POL to ACME adapter when you order the hose.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_4yleabktzt_b

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #3

Maryland
Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I am wanting to do, I was just not sure of the nomenclature of the connectors.

Those tanks at Lowe's do not OPD devices installed, is this going to be a problem having them filled if I take them to a service center to have filled? I am assuming that a 100lb tank weighs 170lbs or so filled. I figured I could just transport in the truck bed (on it's side??) and slide in/out as needed... Or it may be easier to see if I can have the local service fill mine while they are out filling others...

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #4

Oklahoma
The fill stations have the adapter to fill the big tanks, no problem. You can transport them on their side but someone at the fill station may request you stand it up when you leave their premises. It will have to come out of the truck to be filled as very few fill stations will do it in the truck. It depends on who is working that day.
Waiting for the local service to show may not fit your refill schedule. You might be waiting on the guy that was there yesterday but you ran out today and he might not be back for awhile.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote