Plumbing connections in Kodiak 241RBSL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #1

Michigan
Plumbing connections in Kodiak 241RBSL

I have a leaking valve on the output side (top) of the water heater in my 2012 Kodiak 241RBSL. What are those ring clamps holding the tubing together and how do I undo them to replace the valve? Not much room to work in there, either. Help!!

Sophie & Lucy, Old English Sheepdogs
daupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by daupp View Post
I have a leaking valve on the output side (top) of the water heater in my 2012 Kodiak 241RBSL. What are those ring clamps holding the tubing together and how do I undo them to replace the valve? Not much room to work in there, either. Help!!
Most likely the tubing clamps are PEX clamps. Depending on what kind you'll need a few tools to do the job.
If the clamp has an extended part where it's crimped closed you can just cut that part with wire cutters or twist and break with pliers.
If the crimp is fully closed you'll need the cutting tool that cuts the ring. This can be only be done after the tube is cut from the valve or whatever. The tool has a lip that goes inside of the tube and then squeezes down on the ring and the cut is made.
Regardless of what type of crimp ring is used you'll need the crimping tool for whatever style you select for replacement. Some tools have a 'go-no' gauge and some have an adjustment that allows the ring to be crimped to a certain tightness to ensure the ring is tight but not too tight.
Both tools are a must to have in your tool assortment because you can't depend on a tube coming loose in your driveway.
I bought both tools in Sutherland's Lumber but I think you can find them in Lowe's and Home Depot. Don't forget to get an assortment of rings that work with the selected crimping tool.
While you are buying tools to keep things tight you might as well get a stripper, terminals and crimper for the TV coax. You'll want the compression type connector. You'll need the tool sooner or later so might as well do it now.

sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #3

Quebec
I was never able to find the ring removal tool (although I did purchase the rings and compression tool at a Lowes), but with some patience I was able to get the old ring off by cutting with a hacksaw blade. I wouldn't want to make a habit of this, but it worked in a pinch.
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #4

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Most likely the tubing clamps are PEX clamps. Depending on what kind you'll need a few tools to do the job.
If the clamp has an extended part where it's crimped closed you can just cut that part with wire cutters or twist and break with pliers.
If the crimp is fully closed you'll need the cutting tool that cuts the ring. This can be only be done after the tube is cut from the valve or whatever. The tool has a lip that goes inside of the tube and then squeezes down on the ring and the cut is made.
Regardless of what type of crimp ring is used you'll need the crimping tool for whatever style you select for replacement. Some tools have a 'go-no' gauge and some have an adjustment that allows the ring to be crimped to a certain tightness to ensure the ring is tight but not too tight.
Both tools are a must to have in your tool assortment because you can't depend on a tube coming loose in your driveway.
I bought both tools in Sutherland's Lumber but I think you can find them in Lowe's and Home Depot. Don't forget to get an assortment of rings that work with the selected crimping tool.
While you are buying tools to keep things tight you might as well get a stripper, terminals and crimper for the TV coax. You'll want the compression type connector. You'll need the tool sooner or later so might as well do it now.
Thanks! Going to Lowes in the AM for tools, tubing, new valve, et. al.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #5

Michigan
There is also a product out there called "shark bite" connectors. Here is the link: [URL="http://www.sharkbite.com/"]

You should be able to find them in any big box home improvement store or decent sized hardware store. No special tools needed. they are just plain easy to use. I carry an assortment of types and other fittings should I need to make a repair on my rig or a fellow travelers rig.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #6

Michigan
Smile Thanks for all the help

Based on all the comments, I knew what to get at the local Mennards. I used a combination of Shark Bite fittings and crimps. I could not find the copper crimp ring cutter tool and so I too used a mini hacksaw which was tedious but worked. I now have a good assortment of tools and crimp rings to deal with pex plumbing. Where I had to work back by the water heater was very difficult to access and I am sure I could have done the job in 1/10 the time had I not had to contort my body to get at the problem area. Hurting today for sure, but happy that there are no more leaks.

Happy hour came a little bit earlier today at our campsite.

Once again, thanks for all the help!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

Quebec
...... I bet you feel REAL good now!

kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clamp, connections, kodiak, plumbing