No Hot water (water heater) - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2017, 03:43 AM   #21

Colorado
@eightydo, thanks for the video. I've actually taken the entire assembly apart at this point from the solenoid valve all the way through to the spark prob and reassembled. I've tried to adjust that air intake tube from fully open to fully closed (and everywhere in between) and it has zero effect on the flame output.
Hopefully the new Valve assy fixes it. Fingers crossed!

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #22

Colorado
Well, I got the new valve assembly installed late last night and it did not fix it. I'm a bit frustrated to say the least. I have off today so I'm going to take the entire system apart again and try to find something to run through the tubes to clean them out. I don't have a compressor up here unfortunately so previously all I did was blow them out with my mouth. Oh well, this is how we learn!

Old 09-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #23

Oklahoma
That flat sucks!

A place to start, again, is the gas pressure. Here's a link for building one. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ld+a+manometer

A guy could fashion a propane tank and regulator to bypass the RV's propane system. Connect the propane tank with regulator directly to the water heater's incoming gas valve.
If the heater works like it is supposed to then you know there's a blockage somewhere. I don't know if they used Neoprene hoses on your RV for gas delivery but who knows, the inside of the hose may have collapsed causing the problem.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:46 PM   #24

Colorado
Ok, lets keep in mind I've never even really looked at a hot water heater before this I got it going. I re-pulled it all apart and looked a lot closer through the tubes, etc. The tube to the right of the flame adjustment slider had some cob webs in it. Blowing through it as I originally tried did nothing to move them of course. This time I ran water through the tube and I could see much more light when looking through it. Reassembled and boom! Works perfect.
I'll justify the $85 by saying it would have cost that in diag and repair at a camper shop and I learned something new.
Thanks again for all your help Sundancer87
Old 09-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #25

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
Ok, lets keep in mind I've never even really looked at a hot water heater before this I got it going. I re-pulled it all apart and looked a lot closer through the tubes, etc. The tube to the right of the flame adjustment slider had some cob webs in it. Blowing through it as I originally tried did nothing to move them of course. This time I ran water through the tube and I could see much more light when looking through it. Reassembled and boom! Works perfect.
I'll justify the $85 by saying it would have cost that in diag and repair at a camper shop and I learned something new.
Thanks again for all your help Sundancer87
Now that is good news! Hell of a lot more than 85 bucks at a shop because they would have wanted to replace the entire unit.
Now you have time to build a manometer in case you have further propane delivery issues.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #26

Texas
This thread is an example why this forum often makes RV ownership far less painful at times.
Well done!

I followed the whole saga.

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote