loudest water pump this side of the Mississippi - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2019, 01:40 AM   #1

Utah
loudest water pump this side of the Mississippi

Just past a year with our first travel trailer. When we dry camp or boondock, I am AMAZED at how loud the water pump is. It shakes the whole 30 ft trailer. Is this how ALL water pumps are? Just loud and annoying?

This is on a 2018 Kodiak 255BHSL.

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #2

Florida
YES! :0 there are several ways to quiet them down and they really work. Changing several inches of the hose that connects to the pump with softer rubber helps immensely. Putting a new rubber pad under the pump where it bolts on also helps. You will be sleeping through the pump up in no time.

Here's a video of what I did to get it to quiet down.. (this isn't me)...

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
Loudest water pump this side of the Mississippi.
That's an easy fix, just camp on the other side of the Mississippi!
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
That's an easy fix, just camp on the other side of the Mississippi!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Frank has posted a good fix for the usual issue with noisy water pumps. There are other possible contributors to the issue.

There is a check valve in the pump or line to the pump that prevents water from flowing back into the fresh tank. That valve becomes a little sticky when it is not used for a while. Two or three days of use usually loosen it up and it quiets by itself. Or, it could need replacing.

All the soft or hard pipes can vibrate against anything they touch. Padding them can improve things. Installing a tiny pressure tank in the output side of the pump can greatly soften the noise. The hot water tank in my TT almost always has an air bubble in it at the top. Even when my cold water pipes are making a lot of noise due to the sticky check valve, the hot water pipes rarely do or do a lot less.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #6

Missouri
Our pump switch is in the bathroom, so at night we just turn the pump off, or on and off if toilet needed
Robert Cowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:20 AM   #7

Illinois
I can agree with the longer it sits idle the louder it can be. Went on our last trip this weekend and used the pump for the first time in months, Yeah, it was louder than usual but quieted down after a few flushes.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #8

Oregon
We too have a noisy pump. Not ear splitting but worse than it should be.
Removed panel and took a few pics:
First question, is this type of hose worth replacing to get any reduction in noise? Not what I would call rigid at all but perhaps not as flexible as might be.
Second, I think possibly cushioning the hoses where they contact framing and other components would help.
Third, pump itself has hard rubber feet and seems designed to move a little independently of those feet - presumably to reduce vibration noise. Would putting further cushioning under the feet (such as rubber bushings) or under the body of the pump help reduce the noise?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B166A332-D484-48A8-AD2F-2DEAC2EE8BD7.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	5963   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB8AD7DC-6F40-4053-9522-A501688A7CBF.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	5964   Click image for larger version

Name:	3B5CBD4D-23BE-4E04-A345-A8E92157A147.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	5965  
Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #9

Illinois
Lol good answer
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #10

Colorado
Researchhound: To answer your questions I think it depends on the cause of the issue. I also have a loud pump, but it seems to quiet down considerably after I run the water for 1-2 minutes. I did try the things you listed trying to solve my vibrating pump.
I purchased one of these silencing kits and attached it to the pump.
https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59.../dp/B000WN5F96

Than I took an old mousepad and put it under the pump.

Then I got some cheap insulation from the local hardware store and covered my pipes where they were touching each other, the floor, wall, etc.

It helped quiet it some, but I think my cause must be getting air into my water system.
I haven't quite figured it out yet, but since I did the above 3 things, I still get some loud vibration. It seems like after I fill the fresh water tank, the system is loud. After I run the water from the sinks for 1-2 minutes, it quiets down to what I would say is "normal" (based on my last trailer pump).
All 3 things you mention are cheap and worth a try.
Good luck.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #11

Colorado
Researchhound: To answer your questions, I did try the 3 items you mentioned above to quiet my water pump.
First I bought one of these "silencing kits" https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59.../dp/B000WN5F96

Then I took an old mouse pad and put it under the pump.

Finally, I got some inexpensive foam insulation from the local hardware store and wrapped it around the pipes where they came in contact with each other, floor, wall, etc.

All of these were pretty inexpensive and worth a try.
Depending on the cause of your noisy pump they may or may not work.
They really did not work on mine and I have started to think I must get some air in my lines when I fill my fresh water tank. After I run my sinks for 1-2 minutes my system quiets down considerably.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #12

Ontario
we installed a residential "PH5" tank in the pressure side of the system and set the air pressure to 6psi. now even with pump off over night, we get 3-4 flushes. never measured the volume it contributes to the system with the pump off, but i do get about half a sink of water for dishes. more volume for less money than the sureflo tanks that only hold a few ounces. also nicer when rinsing dishes as there is no on/off pump cycling everytime the tap is opened.
cleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:26 PM   #13

Texas
I too had a very loud pump. To solve it I talked to a plumber and he suggested to extend the input and output lines to 18 inches or longer and it would absorb the noise and sure enough it did. My lines into and leaving the pump are both 24 inches and now super quiet. My 2 cents.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:51 PM   #14

Ontario
Hi, the water line you used, was it nylon or do you use rubber for the extension pieces?
cleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #15

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleon View Post
Hi, the water line you used, was it nylon or do you use rubber for the extension pieces?
All pumps instructions say to use non -rigid lines. Mine are flexible braided water lines.

CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote