How to clean a water tank? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #1

Tennessee
How to clean a water tank?

It appears that the previous owner put vinegar in water tank. It was funky. So I started using the flush methods listed hear and in my manual, bleach, rest overnight, repeat.

Today was the third day. When it was done draining there was a clear slime hanging from the drain. I pulled on it and more slime came out, yuck. I am wondering if there is something I can use to "CLEAN" the inside of this tank. I don't want to have to replace it. God knows where I would find one and how much it would cost.

Thanks,

George

curiousgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:30 PM   #2

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgb View Post
It appears that the previous owner put vinegar in water tank. It was funky. So I started using the flush methods listed hear and in my manual, bleach, rest overnight, repeat.

Today was the third day. When it was done draining there was a clear slime hanging from the drain. I pulled on it and more slime came out, yuck. I am wondering if there is something I can use to "CLEAN" the inside of this tank. I don't want to have to replace it. God knows where I would find one and how much it would cost.

Thanks,

George
You've had a chemical reaction between the vinegar (acetic acid) and the bleach (sodium hypochlorite). You've got to be careful here, these compounds can react pretty dangerously, maybe even creating some chlorine gas depending on the concentrations, etc.

You can clean it but it will be a bit tedious. You first need to fill up the tank with just fresh water at least 3 times to dilute everything. After each time, drive around to mix it up and then run it through all the water lines.

You may not need it, but you could then add a weak baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)/water mixture to act as a buffering agent. Same deal, mix and flush.

Then go ahead and do your bleach solution to sanitize. I'm not sure how much bleach you added, but you don't need much, a cap full or two is more than enough to sanitize everything.

You'll be alright, just take your time and go easy on the chemicals.

WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:11 AM   #3

Tennessee
Thanks. Will do.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

Tennessee
Well I had to pull the tank. I then had to cut a hole and put in a access plate. Then use a pressure washer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #5

British Columbia
I sanitize my fresh water tank every spring, much like the process that Don has given you. He is spot on about the mixing of chemicals, they can produce deadly and sometimes explosive gasses.

Given the condition of your tank, I would run several gallons of bleached water though the whole system.

Sounds like perhaps the previous owner may have been trying my favorite gunk buster, vinegar and baking soda. You just have to be sure to get the tank rinsed well before going to the sanitization mixture of bleach and water.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #6

Tennessee
It has been cleaned very well. Lots of soap and a pressure washer. I don't think it has ever been so clean.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgb View Post
It has been cleaned very well. Lots of soap and a pressure washer. I don't think it has ever been so clean.
That works very well when all else fails. Glad you got it cleaned. As Tim Taylor always said just need MORE POWER!

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote