Fresh Water Tank leak 2017 Coleman 192RD - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #1

New Hampshire
Fresh Water Tank leak 2017 Coleman 192RD

We finally got around to taking our new trailer on its maiden voyage last weekend. Since we do a lot of dry camping, we filled up the fresh water tank and headed off to Bear Brook State park. I noticed a constant dripping from the actual drain tube rather than the drain valve but thought it might be condensation since it was quite humid. Everything worked flawlessly and we (miraculously) forgot nothing so it was a wonderful shakedown trip.
When I reached under the camper to open the drain valve, upon our return, I was not amused to see it still dripping... I have an appointment to have it looked into this Friday so there will be more information to follow. I mention it because it's not one of those things they appear to check during dealer prep. and many folks don't often use their fresh water tank. Call this a "Heads Up".

Old 09-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #2

New Hampshire
Ok, I might have to reconsider my original post and take responsibility for the suspected leak. As it turns out, they can't duplicate the problem and believe that I overfilled the fresh water tank causing it to come out the overflow. I will admit that it's possible despite being careful to monitor the fill gauge.

It was still dripping after four days of usage while dry camping so I'm going to have to keep a close eye on that.

Time will tell I guess, so in the meantime, I'll extend my apologies to Keystone...

Old 09-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #3

South Carolina
Mine (on a different brand) has had a slow drip since brand new. I removed the cap, and put a valve on the end, but the drip comes from higher up. Perhaps where the fitting screws into the tank. But it's a slow drip (one drip about every 10 seconds) and I just let it go. Rather than break something up underneath the plastic that I can't see.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:23 AM   #4

British Columbia
I replaced my water tank this spring as I was tired of the slow leak. I had it back at the dealer a few times when new trying to get it fixed under warranty and was told no fault found. Once I took it apart, I discovered that the water level sensors were the culprit and were loose when spun it at the the factory. Used all summer and leaking has stopped, YAY.
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Ok, I might have to reconsider my original post and take responsibility for the suspected leak. As it turns out, they can't duplicate the problem and believe that I overfilled the fresh water tank causing it to come out the overflow. I will admit that it's possible despite being careful to monitor the fill gauge.

It was still dripping after four days of usage while dry camping so I'm going to have to keep a close eye on that.

Time will tell I guess, so in the meantime, I'll extend my apologies to Keystone...
Alpha,

Don't be to quick to cut Keystone and Thor Industries any slack. They won't cut you any when you need them.

I would am almost, definatley, pretty sure I would bet a nickle, that the top clamp on the overflow tube is loose.

The dealer probably can't replicate the problem, because they don't overfill the tank. if you can see your water fill in behind a cabinet, see it the clamp is loose. you should think of your gauges as being a close proximation of what might be in your tanks. Quite a few guys are using a hose end meter, to fill, their tanks.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #6

Arkansas
I have this exact camper. When I fill my tank up I let it run while doing other stuff.
When water starts coming out from where my water hose is I say it is full and cap it off.

I am not exactly sure where you water is dripping from?
d_eggman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #7

New Hampshire
Well, I picked it up today and it is no longer leaking (dripping) water down the drain tube as it was before. On the other hand, the tank is only 1/3 full, so I'll have to fill it and check again after this weekend camping trip.

My son has a new Coleman too and says that he also fills his fresh water tank until it starts to run out the fill port, but the tech at Camping World said that there's a vent at the top of the tank that can discharge if overfilled.
That would explain the apparent leak from within the insulated covering where the drain tube penetration is. I just don't know what to believe anymore guys. Thank you all for your thoughts here, it is comforting knowing that this has occurred to others.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #8

Arkansas
Mine has never done this.
Your saying it is dripping down through the insulation?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #9

New Hampshire
Yes, where the drain tube comes down through the insulation to the drain valve. The valve itself is not leaking, there's a constant drip of water down the outside of the tube. It drips every ten to fifteen seconds.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #10

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Yes, where the drain tube comes down through the insulation to the drain valve. The valve itself is not leaking, there's a constant drip of water down the outside of the tube. It drips every ten to fifteen seconds.
I am curious, could you post a picture of where it is leaking?
Old 10-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #11

New Hampshire
I haven't forgotten you, just got back from a weekend camping trip and slowly filling the fresh water tank in stages to determine at what point it begins to leak.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:50 AM   #12

South Carolina
Are you sure it is fresh water from the tank, and not air conditioner condensate water going the wrong way? As on a former Coleman of mine. But it was a little guy, with a wall-mount AC.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote