faucet leaks questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #1

Alberta
faucet leaks questions

I have a few faucets that are leaking due to not winterizing on time. Question? have any of you that also committed this blunder change out the whole faucet or just cartridge inserts?

Thanks

walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:59 PM   #2

California
My kitchen faucet started leaking a month ago. Had nothing to do with winterizing. Never done it out here in the desert. Has more to do with a cheap plastic faucet. I replaced it with a real metal one.
The 13 year old ones in my Teton still work great. But then again my 2003 Teton cost more then my 2014 Voltage. You get what you pay for.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:37 AM   #3

South Carolina
My plastic shower faucet cracked due to freezing one year. It was far cheaper to find the exact match on Amazon (about $20), and replace the whole fixture myself, rather than towing it 40 miles each way for a dealer fix, argue about warranty (my fault it froze) and wait for them. Metal ones from Lowes and others are nice, but add to weight.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

Maryland
Several years ago in my old trailer I had not winterized my trailer in time when an early freeze caused the kitchen faucet to freeze. It caused the faucet head to crack; when I went to check the trailer the next day, I found that the head had actually been pushed up and I could actually see the ice. Needless to say I had to replace the entire faucet. We have an RV shop not far from our home (less than 5 miles) so was able to get a new faucet and replace it.
Our final camp out with our unit is usually during the Thanksgiving weekend. I now at least drain and blow the lines if there is a chance of a freeze before I formally winterize the unit after our Thanksgiving outing.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #5

Alberta
Thanks all.
I bought a replacement shower faucet yesterday. The outdoor shower faucet is on back order. With my kitchen faucet I think I may have to replace the whole thing!
It also pushed up ice and blew apart. I bought springs and rubber seats and fixed it but where the hose joins the pull out faucet and threads the part that is on the hose to attach has cracked and I can't find a replacement hose. Every thing that I find fits inside the main stem but what I need has to thread to the handle/faucet.
Thinking I will bite the bullet and but a residential faucet as long as it will attach to the plumbing ok.
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Thanks all.
I bought a replacement shower faucet yesterday. The outdoor shower faucet is on back order. With my kitchen faucet I think I may have to replace the whole thing!
It also pushed up ice and blew apart. I bought springs and rubber seats and fixed it but where the hose joins the pull out faucet and threads the part that is on the hose to attach has cracked and I can't find a replacement hose. Every thing that I find fits inside the main stem but what I need has to thread to the handle/faucet.
Thinking I will bite the bullet and but a residential faucet as long as it will attach to the plumbing ok.
Take your old faucet with you when you go shopping. My old Airstream it was a direct fit, but Home Depot has every adapter that you could possibly need to make it work.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote