convert Coleman grill to 20# tank - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #1

Virginia
convert Coleman grill to 20# tank

I am not sure how this will work. I have a Coleman grill, no regulator comes with it, uses 1# bottles, which I hate. Anyway, I want to hook it straight to a spare 20 lb propane tank, not to the trailer LP system. I bought a hose that has the male fitting that screws on the grill where the 1# tank goes. and the other end goes on to 20lb standard propane tank. and no regulator.

so I tried it out, no giant flare of blue flame happened, looks like what it should be if I had a 1# tank hooked up. BUT concerned that this will mess up and have a flare. Coleman® RoadTrip X-cursion is what I am using. I texted with Coleman tech support - they say there is no built-in regulator in the grill and the guy said I should have a regulator. So do I really need a regulator? I am having heck understanding what regulator to have in line that works with my new hose connections. Or a regulator that hooks onto the tank and that then comes out with the ACME male connection for my hose to screw on. I would also need a vertical regulator if it connects to the 1" connection on grill..

WyoCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #2

Arizona
I have done the same thing with a 10# tank and a Coleman grill. Four years later no issues.
RichH

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:37 AM   #3

Virginia
Great to read. Thanks

That is really good to hear, reassuring. I should d send a email back to Coleman and ask what is needed, just to find out if they know. I did some reading, just because the tanks are different size, still have same psi pressure.
WyoCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:09 AM   #4

Arizona
I did it and had to get a couple of brass fitting to hook the hose to the grill. Works great.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:52 AM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
I did it and had to get a couple of brass fitting to hook the hose to the grill. Works great.

There is actually a hose that has the 1# bottle fitting and the tank fitting and is about 40" long. As I remember it was around $15. Gotta remember that the grill has no idea what size tank is hooked to it.

RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:26 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Weber grill 30lb tank

Bought a 6 ft hose by Weber at Wallys. Run it under the fender by the front leg up to the 30 lb tank in my 5th wheel. Have to let it sit for about 10 minutes after turning the gas on to let the pressure build in the hose. Then use it as normal. No problem in last 5 years.

If other tank runs out, can quickly hook this tank back up to trailer until I get it refilled.

Also use my home Weber grill with the same size hose ran to 20lb tank(s). Just have to let pressure build in the hose before turning on the grill when you switch tanks, otherwise the pressure limit built into the tank may activate causing you low pressure at the grill and low flame. Learned the hard way thinking something wrong when I just needed to wait.

Happy grilling!
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:23 AM   #7

Illinois
The regulator is built into the temp control, so attaching the LP tank adapter hose is the same as connecting the 1# can. . I have a Foreman griddle/grill and a Char Broil that I do this with, never had an issue
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #8

Michigan
Your Coleman grill has a built in regulator as do all grills set up for the 1# tanks. It's that thing you screw the little bottle to, that has the control knob.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:37 PM   #9

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KECoats View Post
Bought a 6 ft hose by Weber at Wallys. Run it under the fender by the front leg up to the 30 lb tank in my 5th wheel. Have to let it sit for about 10 minutes after turning the gas on to let the pressure build in the hose. Then use it as normal. No problem in last 5 years.

If other tank runs out, can quickly hook this tank back up to trailer until I get it refilled.

Also use my home Weber grill with the same size hose ran to 20lb tank(s). Just have to let pressure build in the hose before turning on the grill when you switch tanks, otherwise the pressure limit built into the tank may activate causing you low pressure at the grill and low flame. Learned the hard way thinking something wrong when I just needed to wait.

Happy grilling!
I believe that what you are really doing is purging the lines of air. The minute you open the cylinder valve the line is pressurized.
RichH

Tags
conversion, grill, propane