Cable actuated dump valves - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #1

British Columbia
Thumbs down Cable actuated dump valves

As full time residents in a 2015 Denali 287RE we think that this unit has the best layout in the world but the quality of build has to be something that belongs in the third world. We spend our lives trying to find a dealers who can deal with our succession of very frequent problems.

Our current problem is a black water dump valve that got more and more sticky (we always use campground toilets for "solids" - only liquids pass through our bw tank) until the cable actuator broke. For a valve that is only deals with liquids, this is bloody ridiculous - six months of service until it fails.. Replacing the valve means dropping the whole underfloor and finding a dealer in Saskatchewan that (a) has a replacement in stock and (b) can fit it. The whole concept of the cable operated valves sucks. Put a steel rod in!.

Is there anyone else out there having trouble with Denali cable operated valves? Is there a reasonable alternative out there?

Is there anyone else out there who wants to join the "I hate Denali quality" club.

m.m.e.gonecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #2

Tennessee
I replaced mine with a valterra electric valve.

2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:00 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks! Did you do that yourself or through a dealer. Any idea how to replace the "rivets" that hold the sub floor in?
m.m.e.gonecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #4

Tennessee
Did it myself. I chiseled out the rivets and replaced them with self-tapping screws.
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:14 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Go electric or have problems with the next one too. There are two brands of electric valves on the market; Valtera and Baker. I personally prefer the Baker, but they both work well.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:33 AM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Go electric or have problems with the next one too. There are two brands of electric valves on the market; Valtera and Baker. I personally prefer the Baker, but they both work well.

Aaron
Aaron, not trying to call you out as you are an intelligent guy. But for those with lesser experience, search for Barker for this brand of valve.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:36 AM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Aaron, not trying to call you out as you are an intelligent guy. But for those with lesser experience, search for Barker for this brand of valve.
Either a brain fart or auto-correct... (I am claiming auto-correct!)

It is Barker, they are made in the USA in Indiana and sell repair parts. Not too sure about Valterra anymore.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:40 AM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.m.e.gonecamping View Post
As full time residents in a 2015 Denali 287RE we think that this unit has the best layout in the world but the quality of build has to be something that belongs in the third world. We spend our lives trying to find a dealers who can deal with our succession of very frequent problems.

Our current problem is a black water dump valve that got more and more sticky (we always use campground toilets for "solids" - only liquids pass through our bw tank) until the cable actuator broke. For a valve that is only deals with liquids, this is bloody ridiculous - six months of service until it fails.. Replacing the valve means dropping the whole underfloor and finding a dealer in Saskatchewan that (a) has a replacement in stock and (b) can fit it. The whole concept of the cable operated valves sucks. Put a steel rod in!.

Is there anyone else out there having trouble with Denali cable operated valves? Is there a reasonable alternative out there?

Is there anyone else out there who wants to join the "I hate Denali quality" club.
Different rig, but same problem. My forward gray tank cable gave up the ghost - stuck open. After our trip next weekend, I will be installing the electric valves I bought over the winter. Bench tested them and am impressed. I looked at both Barker and Valterra. I went with Valterra as I got one heck of a deal by buying all four I needed all at once. Install on a tank with a 3" outlet pipe is very simple. 4 bolts to remove, remove old valve, install new gaskets, install new valve, run wiring and mount switch.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:11 AM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Either a brain fart or auto-correct... (I am claiming auto-correct!)

It is Barker, they are made in the USA in Indiana and sell repair parts. Not too sure about Valterra anymore.

Aaron
LOL - Dear Autocorrect, please stop correcting my curse-words, you mother forklift!

Tags
cable actuated valves, denali quality