Black tank valve issue - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2022, 11:12 PM   #1

Alabama
Black tank valve issue

I bought a used 2017 Denali 325RL. I need some thoughts on my problem. First time using this RV. The black tank valve appears to be stuck slightly open. When the toilet is flushed there is some drainage out the sewer connection. The valve is closed. If I pull the valve open no more travels. Of course I’m worried of the poo pyramid. The liquids are draining but the solids are there still. I can see it down the toilet. It also appears that a repair may have been done in the past since the thick black tape is in a nice square around black tank under pinning. 1. How hard is replacing the valve 2. Once valve is replaced, should I just fill the tank with water to get it all to run out?

Any other suggestions or ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks for the help.

Mono1733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:00 PM   #2

California
Fix the valve(silicone spray) might have to replace it. If you can see into the tank, you can use a wand to flush it out with an open valve. If not then will have to do the following . Put in Happy Camper it is powder and works very, fill the tank totally full and if you can pull the trailer around some to mix the mess up. Then let it sit for a few days. Then dump and might have to it again.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:57 PM   #3

Florida
IF you have to replace the valve, replace it with an electric! You will be much happier.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:13 PM   #4

Alabama
So I solved my problem. Since my RV was used I suspected there was a blockage in the black tank pipe. I used the Rhino blaster to back water up in the pipe with valves closed then released it. Lots of TP and "stuff" came flowing out. Did this 3 times to ensure it was clear. Black tank still would not empty, but liquids would flow with valve open or closed. So I had to get under RV to investigate valve. There was obviously a previous repair with under belly was cut and the flex tape was installed. Once I could see the valve I noticed the plastic piece that holds the rod the cable attaches to would move when lever was pulled or pushed. The plastic piece needed to be snapped back in place on the valve. Once I did that valve would open and close as desired.
Mono1733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:32 PM   #5

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono1733 View Post
I bought a used 2017 Denali 325RL. I need some thoughts on my problem. First time using this RV. The black tank valve appears to be stuck slightly open. When the toilet is flushed there is some drainage out the sewer connection. The valve is closed. If I pull the valve open no more travels. Of course I’m worried of the poo pyramid. The liquids are draining but the solids are there still. I can see it down the toilet. It also appears that a repair may have been done in the past since the thick black tape is in a nice square around black tank under pinning. 1. How hard is replacing the valve 2. Once valve is replaced, should I just fill the tank with water to get it all to run out?

Any other suggestions or ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks for the help.
Do yourself a favour and replace the complete valve. The rubber guide is probably harded. I just replaced mine and it took me no more the 30 minutes and closes like a hot knife in butter. Forget the tapes and sprays and do it right the first time... Replace
OttawaMale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:26 AM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaMale49 View Post
Do yourself a favour and replace the complete valve. The rubber guide is probably harded. I just replaced mine and it took me no more the 30 minutes and closes like a hot knife in butter. Forget the tapes and sprays and do it right the first time... Replace
Agree! Spray silicone only last a short time. I replaced the valve and I could not be happier. Works like a hot knife through butter.

P.S. I put Silicone spray on the new valve before I installed it. Not certain it helps but it seems too.

Witt84z is offline   Reply With Quote