Aerolite 282DBHS Waterpump Vibrations - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #1

Delaware
Aerolite 282DBHS Waterpump Vibrations

Well like so many others the entire system vibrates like a champ when using the waterpump. When I did the walkthrough with the dealer he said this was normal (it didn't happen in my popup I traded). So knowing it was probably not installed correctly I searched and found my pump. It is not mounted at all and the water line wraps around the track for one of the draws. The only thing they did correct was use the flexible lines before and after teh pump. I plan on relocating the pump, mouting it correctly and adding an expansion tank.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
Well like so many others the entire system vibrates like a champ when using the waterpump. When I did the walkthrough with the dealer he said this was normal (it didn't happen in my popup I traded). So knowing it was probably not installed correctly I searched and found my pump. It is not mounted at all and the water line wraps around the track for one of the draws. The only thing they did correct was use the flexible lines before and after teh pump. I plan on relocating the pump, mouting it correctly and adding an expansion tank.

Gives you a lot of faith in the whole RV industry.

Anbody that works in the industry should know what a water pump sounds like when it's installed correctly. I loosened the pump in my old trailer, to put a bypass kit in. When i run the pump the first time after the fillings nearly rattled out of my teeth. I forgot to screw it back down.

Sounds to me like the dealer has a sweet little scam going on. He charges the manufacturer for the PDI and doesn't fix any defects that he finds. Then charges the maunufacturer when the unit comes back for warranty work.

You have wonder how so many defects get past the "QC" at the factory and then they just manage to slip past the dealers PDI.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #3

Delaware
Not to mention that is the control box for my slide. If there was a leak that is shot as well and apparently there is no manual method to close it.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #4

Quebec
You are SO right about lacking PDI by dealers. I have to tell you the experience I had when I traded in my last 5th wheel on my current Infinity. Upon arrival at the dealer with my old trailer, they immediately backed it into their shop and spent a full 2 hours checking EVERYTHING to make sure it all worked. You can be sure if they had found any problem, my agreed upon trade-in allowance would have been reduced. Meanwhile, my wife and I inspected the new trailer and pointed out a number of things that needed attention - ie. I think we did our own PDI. Disappointing!
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
Not to mention that is the control box for my slide. If there was a leak that is shot as well and apparently there is no manual method to close it.
Might be something else to do when you bolt down the pump. That would be a good time to add a heater bypass as well. Something that I thought came straight from the factory now days. Check your owners manual and see if it refers to a bypass.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmiles View Post
You are SO right about lacking PDI by dealers. I have to tell you the experience I had when I traded in my last 5th wheel on my current Infinity. Upon arrival at the dealer with my old trailer, they immediately backed it into their shop and spent a full 2 hours checking EVERYTHING to make sure it all worked. You can be sure if they had found any problem, my agreed upon trade-in allowance would have been reduced. Meanwhile, my wife and I inspected the new trailer and pointed out a number of things that needed attention - ie. I think we did our own PDI. Disappointing!
So true.

I have my own little game I play with vehicle dealers. I never take a vehicle back to the selling dealer for any service warranty or other wise. I started doing this the first time I got taken advantage of 40 plus years ago.

Once a vehicle is out of warranty I go in search of an independent shop that has a good rep.

The only thing a dealer wants is to get his hands into your pockets.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #7

Quebec
I do the same thing. By the way, hddecker, we will be passing through your fine city this fall sometime around October 15th to begin a tour of the west coast. How worried should I be about weather/snow at that time of year between Calgary and Vancouver? Any advice would be appreciated!
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmiles View Post
I do the same thing. By the way, hddecker, we will be passing through your fine city this fall sometime around October 15th to begin a tour of the west coast. How worried should I be about weather/snow at that time of year between Calgary and Vancouver? Any advice would be appreciated!
Hi, Kevin, Barb & Jake,

I would have my snow tires on by the time I got to Calgary.

Most of the passes can have snow by then and at times it can get pretty heavy.

When you get to Kamloops check the weather snd if there has been or forecasted snow you might want to keep to Hwy 1. The Coquihala Summitt can have some serious snow storms and last winter it was shut down several times because the road crews couldn't keep up.

When we go to the Lower Mainland, we stick to Hwy 1 (year round now). It receives less snow and has less traffic, makes for a much more relaxed drive, more scenic too in my mind.

It does have a couple of narrow spots with fairly tight bends, but if you take them at the posted speed you won't have any problems.

The one downside to Hwy 1 there are a couple of places that can have slides and that too could shut it down. Again check the weather and the road reports. DriveBC
or Mobile DriveBC

You will be getting to BC just about the time we will be heading back from Dover DE. Hopefully we will have made it all the way to the Rock then down to Dover. But you can never tell, we don't plan our trips, except for the turn around point.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #9

Quebec
Many thanks, Hddecker, I have already saved DriveBC in my 'Favorites' and have noted your recommendations re Hwy 1 vs. Coquihala Summit. Have a great trip to and from Delaware and drive safely!

2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel