Adjusting Water Temperature - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #1

Illinois
Adjusting Water Temperature

I am attempting to adjust the water temperature on my 3990 Voltage water heater. It is a ten gallon electronic ignition, gas/electric Atwood. Nothing looks like the picture in the owner's manual. I do not see any adjustment dials. I even accessed behind the unit via the panel next to the fireplace (Lucky thing as I found a water leak from a feeder line. Will be tough to reach to fix another day) to no avail. I attached a photo (I think). Any help would be appreciated.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #2

Texas
Rusty,

The most common issue I've read about with the hot water temperature is to make sure your outdoor shower valves are shut tight as well as the water heater bypass valve. If these valves are open it allows the hot / cold water to mix affecting the temperature.

I believe the stock thermostat is set at a fixed temperature, however, an adjustable one is available...

http://www.amazon.com/Atwood-93105-A...HR9G3STBQSMHP9

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #3

Illinois
Water Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
Rusty,

The most common issue I've read about with the hot water temperature is to make sure your outdoor shower valves are shut tight as well as the water heater bypass valve. If these valves are open it allows the hot / cold water to mix affecting the temperature.

I believe the stock thermostat is set at a fixed temperature, however, an adjustable one is available...

Amazon.com: Atwood 93105 Adjustable Electronic Thermostat: Automotive
Thanks Mike. Reading about the adjustable thermostat makes me think that my unit does in fact has a fixed temperature. Never heard of such a thing on even an entry level heater. I don't have a mixing problem like other people have had due to the outdoor shower valves being open. Boy, 140 degrees seems pretty hot. Thankfully no little kids in my unit otherwise burns for sure. Appreciate your help. Thought I was a complete idiot not finding a temperature setting,
Rusty
Old 05-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #4

South Carolina
I've noticed, too, that temps are hot, in both my current and last TT. I figure it's partial compensation for small capacities, so that you need less hot to mix with cold for a longer shower.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #5

Nevada
Yep that's how they work!!
Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #6

South Carolina
I think that controlling the water temperature in the shower is the final exam for a camper. Once the hobbits stop dropping by to drop off a ring in your shower, you get to claim that you are an experienced camper.
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:55 PM   #7

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
I am attempting to adjust the water temperature on my 3990 Voltage water heater. It is a ten gallon electronic ignition, gas/electric Atwood. Nothing looks like the picture in the owner's manual. I do not see any adjustment dials. I even accessed behind the unit via the panel next to the fireplace (Lucky thing as I found a water leak from a feeder line. Will be tough to reach to fix another day) to no avail. I attached a photo (I think). Any help would be appreciated.
Rusty
Not sure if this will help but here's a couple pics of our manual pilot light propane heater. It's a 2013 6-gallon Atwood G6A-7, but it does have a big blue temperature adjust dial.

It's kind of unbelievable that there's no temp adjustment in higher-end trailers than ours...

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	2254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0301.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	2255  
High-Energy JRT (Jack Russell Terrier)
kalm_in_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #8

Illinois
Thanks Ken. I think Soccerloco and MartyG are correct in that by keeping the water temperature scalding, you have to use less of it, thereby compensating for the a smaller hot water tank (although I think mine is 10 or eleven gallons, so go figure).
Rusty
Old 06-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalm_in_NJ View Post
Not sure if this will help but here's a couple pics of our manual pilot light propane heater. It's a 2013 6-gallon Atwood G6A-7, but it does have a big blue temperature adjust dial.

It's kind of unbelievable that there's no temp adjustment in higher-end trailers than ours...

Ken
Remember... you are dealing with profit margins first! Believe me I have poked, prodded and torn a part many an RV in my day and while there is better stuff out there, most of the manufacturers are going for maximum profits first. Which is why you get cheaply made stuff in supposedly higher end trailers. Even Airstream, which I find ironic on a trailer that exceed $80,000 for a 30' TT.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:07 PM   #10

West Virginia
I am New to owning a camper, mine is a 1992 Classic Dutchmen M-24FB. How do I get the water heater to work? My paper work does not contain a manual on the water heater.
Unique
Unique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #11

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique View Post
I am New to owning a camper, mine is a 1992 Classic Dutchmen M-24FB. How do I get the water heater to work? My paper work does not contain a manual on the water heater.
Unique
For gas, it may be the old type of : Turn valve to pilot....press and hold button or knob while lighting (flame stick or sparker) pilot light. Continue to hold for 30 sec's while system warms up. Release hold, pilot should stay on.... turn valve to "on" and flame should start if demand (cold water) exists.
For electric heat, which you may/may not have, check the 120 volt circuit breakers and in both cases, make sure switch on wall (for either gas water heater or electric water heater) is ON.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:05 AM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique View Post
Unique
Got a model number an manufacturer? Number of gallons? That might help us source a manual or at least be able to tell you how to operate it. It is most likely either a Suburban or Atwood unit.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote