Wiring Sirius Radio - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2015, 01:32 AM   #1

Colorado
Wiring Sirius Radio

Hi All, I just got a Sirius XM car radio kit in for the camper (we have it in the truck already. I have a few questions about installing it on my Jenson AWM970 stereo.
1)The Sirius radio comes with a Cigarette lighter plug. Can I cut that off and hard wire right to a 12V power source?
2) When I initially ordered it I saw my stereo has a "Aux1 and Aux2 setting. I use Aux1 for the TV so I planned to use Aux2 for Sirius. Upon closer inspection now I do not see Aux2, I just see "Line output" and it's the red/yellow and white AV plugs. I do however have a line marked "External IR receiver input" and the Sirius Audio plug fits right in. Will this work?
If not where where/how do I plug in audio?
Thanks,

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:44 AM   #2

Colorado
Ok, I see #1 is not going to work. I can not cut and wire the plug it came with for the "cig" lighter.
Still stuck on #2. Can I use the "external IR receiver input" on the Jenson stereo or do I need to purchase adapters?
I won't be able to power it up until tomorrow when I make a trip to Radio Shack.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
Ok, I see #1 is not going to work. I can not cut and wire the plug it came with for the "cig" lighter.
Still stuck on #2. Can I use the "external IR receiver input" on the Jenson stereo or do I need to purchase adapters?
I won't be able to power it up until tomorrow when I make a trip to Radio Shack.
The 'IR' jack is for InfraRed input not audio connections . Is the antenna wire incorporated with the 12 volts?
I think you can find a dual input/single output mini plug at Radio Shack. That way you can use the single input port and both the TV and the radio. Or maybe you can connect the radio to the TV somehow.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #4

Nova Scotia
I used a home kit because it comes with the proper plug but you can also buy a 110V to 12V converter. The same ones they use for electric coolers for the power.
As far as the sound goes I use a double ended 3.5mm headphone jack and plug it into my aux jack. It's on the front of my DVD stereo and set it to aux. works like a charm. Then you still have your red white and yellow for the DVDs player.
They also make a 3.5 mm to red and white rca jacks if those work in the back of your unit or if you have no aux in in the front.

Hope that helps!
caper_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:26 PM   #5

Colorado
Thank you

Thank you for the help, I got it all wired up and functioning today. I ended up going to the auto store and buying a 12V socket (cig lighter), taping into the power and ground on the stereo and it works fine. For the sound I did end up plugging into the "Aux" port on the front of the stereo.
My last thing to figure out is the antenna. First, it is magnetic and of course the roof is rubber. Should I glue it down? Maybe silicone it is better so it can be removed easier? Looking for suggestions.
Also, I ran the wire under the fan in the bedroom. I was thinking I do the short run across the ceiling then down the back of the wall. I'm not sure the wife is going to like that though. Any other suggestions on getting the wire down to the stereo cleanly?
Here is what I have so far........
Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1140.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	2347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1141.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	2348  
Old 07-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Does the antenna necessarily have to be outdoors? Could it not be placed in a window or someplace where the wire won't be exposed?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #7

Colorado
I'm fairly certain if I put it in a window it will have to be moved around fairly often for reception which would be a hassle with the wire. I'm pretty set on putting it on the roof and forgetting about it.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:49 PM   #8

Oklahoma
I was just thinking about the residential docking stations for satellite radio, they use an indoor/outdoor antenna.

It'll be a trick to hide the antenna wire unless you can come up from below the floor. Maybe through the wet bay to the inside, that'll leave most of the wire outdoors which could be hidden or covered.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #9

Arizona
Quote:
My last thing to figure out is the antenna. First, it is magnetic and of course the roof is rubber. Should I glue it down? Maybe silicone it is better so it can be removed easier? Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
I would hesitate to glue the antenna down on the roof. Too permanent.
You may want to consider gluing down a 6"x6" piece of steel sheet metal with some dicor sealant. That way you can attach the antenna to the roof and provide a ground plane for the antenna to help reception.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:13 PM   #10

Colorado
Great idea OCCUPANT5143, heading to the hardware store tomorrow, again.....
Old 07-07-2015, 11:31 PM   #11

Nova Scotia
My TT has a slide next to the stereo so I just passed it through there once I am all setup.
I've never tried this but isn't your existing antenna metal? I believe there's a magnet built into the Sirius antenna. Can't you just mount it to that one? I used an extra rare earth magnet I had to attach mine through the back window of my car because the body and roof are fibreglass.
Glad you got it wired up.
caper_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:36 AM   #12

Colorado
Ok

So I think what I may do is look for a piece of molding/trim that they use to join the ceiling pieces together (see picture). I'll cover the wire from the ceiling vent to the cabinet and run it down (maybe inside the cabinet) from there. Do you think Home Depot has this stuff or is it RV specific?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1142.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	2350  
Old 07-08-2015, 01:40 AM   #13

Arizona
Quote:
So I think what I may do is look for a piece of molding/trim that they use to join the ceiling pieces together (see picture). I'll cover the wire from the ceiling vent to the cabinet and run it down (maybe inside the cabinet) from there. Do you think Home Depot has this stuff or is it RV specific?
Wiremold makes stick on channels that are designed to hide wires. Look for it at Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:52 AM   #14

South Carolina
Since you bought the cigarette lighter socket, this is just FYI. The Sirius plug is a voltage reducer, and the output is 5v, just like a USB plug. For my truck, I bought a Sirius USB power cord (do a search, there are different models and types). My cig lighter outlet feeds a 2-USB outlet; one for Sirius, and one to charge my phone.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #15

Michigan
I attached my antenna to the top of a vent cap with a dot of permatex - that way I can always remove it if necessary and not harm the roof. Maybe an AC cover or vent cover is more convenient for your location but works the same.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #16

Wyoming
I put the antenna on the roof and glued it down with dicor. It has to be on the roof outside if you travel up north. North of 51 degrees the satellites are too low on the horizon to get reception if you mount it on the ceiling inside a cupboard as I originally did. I have the same stereo and did as you have by getting a socket and mounting that inside a cupboard adjacent to the stereo. I did this so I can unplug when not in use as a precaution.

Here is a link to a post I made after installing my antenna.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums....html#post7072

Here is a link to my original post.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...tenna-871.html
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #17

Colorado
Thanks again everyone, I've got it all wrapped up and I'm happy with how it turned out. Not a moment to soon as we take off tomorrow AM for a short trip to Durango, CO.
Once back I'll begin the next project. I ordered a Wilson Signal Booster kit.