What is this? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #1

Arkansas
What is this?

I have a 2003 Dutchman 35' Classic toyhauler. There is an electrical box in front storage area with a blue cover on it.

I opened it up and the wires are dead. I called the company and they said don't worry about it because I don't have a generator. Felt like they were not interested.

So my question is? Is it to hook up a generator? Are the wires dead until powered up by a generator? Looking to purchase a portable generaotor and would be nice to hook up there rather then using the long power cable.

Attaching the photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	B1AAA257-04F2-44F9-AD3C-ECF66C031C7A.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	6279

labill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:30 PM   #2

South Carolina
It is what it is:-)

I would not worry about it and throw it away. If you get a new generator. Start new. Most generators have Circuit Breaker built in.

Esco Safeguard SG30 Circuit Breaker 30 Amp

https://www.amazon.com/Esco-Safeguar.../dp/B07FWCQQ3Y

Old 05-26-2020, 12:31 AM   #3

Utah
It is a circuit breaker that is most likely pre-wired for your rig if it was ordered with a generator. I am not familiar with your trailer, but if you look at where the generator would be mounted if it was ordered, you will likely find the other end of the wires.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #4

California
Open the cover and see what size the breaker is, see what size the wire is, how many any the colors. Maybe we can figure it out that way?
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:19 PM   #5

California
I just looked closer and model SG 30 on the cover tells me it’s probably a 30 amp breaker.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:22 PM   #6

Arkansas
Here is a pic of the inside wiring.

Appears to be 12/2 wire. They are not hot. I am sure these wires are not the right size to carry any voltage to the RV from the generator.

So I guess the question goes on, what is it for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE68AA4C-1959-4CDE-8A93-2577E655877C.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	6305  
Old 05-31-2020, 04:34 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by labill View Post
Here is a pic of the inside wiring.

Appears to be 12/2 wire. They are not hot. I am sure these wires are not the right size to carry any voltage to the RV from the generator.

So I guess the question goes on, what is it for?
That's pretty laffable! Looks like one circuit, probably carries 30 amps that goes through that joke of a circuit breaker with those SHII crimp on connectors. I would probably use it for a solar connection. Does your RV have a 50 amp connection or 30? Are there any circuit breakers in your panel off?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:02 PM   #8

California
Can’t tell for sure what size the wires are, Looks like 12 or might be 14? The wired MIGHT go to a transfer switch or inverter? I would go to the web site and see what it offers for info. I’ve been an electrician for over 40 years and it does look kinda funky.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:54 PM   #9

Arkansas
My setup is 30amp. All breakers work.

I am sure they are 12/2 wires. When I first saw this I figured the box was to hook up the generator at that location becasue there is a screen vent in the storage door and location to cut floor out for the exhaust. Not sure now, wires appear to small.

Nothing in manual so I will look for inverter and see if I can trace the wires.

Thanks everyone,
Bill
Old 06-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #10

Arkansas
Spoke with the company. They said the circuit breaker was a requirement for pre-wired generator setups.

If generator has break then disregard.

So now I assume that the wires from the RV, like I said appear to be 12/2 are dead and the generator would hook up to those and transfer to the RV system.

Anyone see different?

Thanks again,
Bill
Old 06-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #11

California
If those wire are #12 the code is 20 Amps. Which company told you that? Trailer comp or safe guard? You don’t want to over load the wires that’s what starts fires. I can’t think of any reason to put a 30 amp breaker on 20 amp wire? There is different insulation’s for different applications that allow more amps on #12 copper but that isn’t normal wire like I see in your picture and it’s expensive and not used in normal applications.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:43 PM   #12

Florida
The orange-colored wire sheathing is set aside for 10-gauge wire. It is able to handle 30-amp circuit loads. These loads include air conditioners, water heater feeds, and any other 30-amp loads.

fyi:

Romex Extra Color NM-B is a line of nonmetallic cable color-coded by gauge size. No. 14 is white, No. 12 is yellow, No. 10 is orange and No. 6 is black. The colors simplify inventory management for distributors and provide easier installations for contractors.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #13

California
Frank is correct

I didn’t see the orange jacket. Good eyes Frank. Frank is correct the orange jacket does signify #10. Looks like we have several electricians on here.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:16 PM   #14

Arkansas
This has been my problem. Why, what appears to be 12/2 wire be in a circuit breaker box for a generator. As said by others it has been my understanding it must be a lest #10.

I can not find any wiring diagram or mention of this in my manual.

Thanks for all the feed back,

Bill
Old 06-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by labill View Post
This has been my problem. Why, what appears to be 12/2 wire be in a circuit breaker box for a generator. As said by others it has been my understanding it must be a lest #10.

I can not find any wiring diagram or mention of this in my manual.

Thanks for all the feed back,

Bill

it's 10AWG... look at the jacket!
Old 06-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #16

Arkansas
Need to get my eyes checked. That is an Orange wrap. Same type we used on our washer/dryer. I have done my share of electrical wiring in my own homes but not an expert.

So now my question? Is this outlet for a receptial to feed power from a generator?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #17

Florida
Do you think you have a transfer switch on your unit already. That wire would go to the transfer switch then go to the load center I believe. If you don't have a transfer switch installed, it's probably dead and only pre-wired. By the way, those crimp-on connectors are crap. IF you get a generator, re-wire it.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #18

Arkansas
I don't know if it's just pre-wired or what. Nothing in manual.

I will get it checked out. Thanks for all your information, it sure gets me going in the right direction.

Thanks,
Bill