Unbelievable 2005 Batteries - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2015, 01:04 AM   #1

California
Unbelievable 2005 Batteries

I was at Banks yesterday getting their intercooler, and they saw codes on the IQ indicating need to check the batteries. They did test a bit under par. That is when I noticed that they were both the ORIGINAL 2005 AC/Delco batteries. Absolutely amazing. I have owned many vehicles over the years and never even heard of batteries living that long, especially ones that have been through what these have. I can't count the number of times that it jumped my trailer's gen, a trailer killed the truck, a quad was used to get the truck charged enough to start, etc etc. The truck was still starting fine, but I immediately put two new interstates in it!!!

2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #2

New Jersey
I got almost 10 years out of the factory original batteries in my 2002 F250 7.3 L diesel. Maybe having 2 batteries helps?

Old 11-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #3

Michigan
I changed mine this past spring on my '05 Ram - OEM batteries. Father in laws are '03 and OEM but getting weak. x2 on the Interstates!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCToyhauler View Post
I was at Banks yesterday getting their intercooler, and they saw codes on the IQ indicating need to check the batteries. They did test a bit under par. That is when I noticed that they were both the ORIGINAL 2005 AC/Delco batteries. Absolutely amazing. I have owned many vehicles over the years and never even heard of batteries living that long, especially ones that have been through what these have. I can't count the number of times that it jumped my trailer's gen, a trailer killed the truck, a quad was used to get the truck charged enough to start, etc etc. The truck was still starting fine, but I immediately put two new interstates in it!!!
Dosen't suprise me, my neighbor always gets 10+ years out of his batteries in his vehicles.

The first thing he does is add a solar trickle charger, then is fanatical about maintenance, keeping them topped up and cleaning the cables.

He's made me rethink my replace them at 5 years, needed or not. The only batteries I have had a problem with have been AGM, had 2 of them crap out prematurely. First one was a free replacement, the second made it to 2 1/2 years. Never bought another one.

You were lucky to get 10 years out of yours, if they were treated as you describe. The biggest killer is letting a battery run down, then jump themand charge with the alternator.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #5

California
My son just changed out his Motorcraft batteries on his 7.3 Ford diesel. They were seven years old. We have never had batteries last that long out here in the desert. Only been baking out here for 45 years.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
My son just changed out his Motorcraft batteries on his 7.3 Ford diesel. They were seven years old. We have never had batteries last that long out here in the desert. Only been baking out here for 45 years.
Yep they do need a lot more attention in the desert, doesn't take long to boil them dry.

I had to add water every day when we were travelling the desert on the bike. The cells would go from full to half way down to the plates in a day.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote