TV hookup problems - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #1

Arkansas
TV hookup problems

I just replaced my TV outlet inside the RV that controls the RV antenna and outside cable input. Used a campground cable TV hookup and all was good. At home when I set up my Dish receiver the problem starts.

The TV s work fine off the roof antenna. When I hook up the main cable from my Dish to the receptacle, turn off the roof antenna I have nothing.

If I disconnect the main input cable from the receptacle and hook directly to the Dish cable everything works. Not sure what is going on.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

labill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:11 AM   #2

Michigan
If I recall correctly, there are different rated splitters (rated in MHz) based on the color on the ends. Some are rated to handle the satellite signal. Maybe you have a splitter that can't handle the signal in line somewhere? There is a thread SOMEWHERE on this forum that talks to that. Just a thought.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #3

Florida
The dish receiver supplies power to the dish LNB. A "normal" splitter will not allow the power pass through.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #4

Tennessee
The best mod I've done on my camper is to add a dedicated satellite hookup on the outside. It gets you far away from all the splitter nonsense they have cobbled in there. Mine was super easy because my inside TV is right next to the outdoor kitchen so running the RG6 cable was easy.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #5

Florida
I lucked out and my RV had two dedicated satellite connection points. One goes to the TV in the living room and the other goes to the bedroom, they are located on the side near the regular connection and the other one is located on the rear of the coach. Guess they could not have joined them together. Go figure.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:12 AM   #6

Texas
I ran a dedicated RG6 cable in the rear of my trailer for the satellite. As stated above, the splitters in my TT did not pass the sat receiver voltage. I have two cable connections, one above the other on the side of the trailer. The top cable connection on the side of the trailer shows open, the bottom cable connection on the side of the trailer goes to the jumper plate beside the Wiegard antenna plate.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:30 AM   #7

Arkansas
Dish does have a set of splitters, so to speak to solve the problem. However, it's more trouble than it's worth.

The RV Dish setups will only handle one TV so that was out.

I just made a setup using an extra coaxial plate and jumper cables. Works fine.

Thanks everyone,

Bil

labill is offline   Reply With Quote