Trailer lights having issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2021, 09:18 PM   #1

Iowa
Trailer lights having issues

I recently started having issues with my exterior driving lights on my 2008 Dutchmen 28B-GS. I replaced the 7 pin plug on the trailer thinking it may be the problem since it never went in very tight. The plug I replaced it with has L.E.D. lights showing what is working. When I run through the truck and turn on running lights, turn signals, hazards, brakes.. the L.E.D.'s on the 7 pin respond correctly. I even double checked that the wires were correct and matched the truck.

(My amber lights in the front top and sides haven't worked since I got it even after I replaced all the bulbs?)

Here is what I'm getting when I turn the following on the truck.....

Hazards = all lights in back flash. both side red lights, tail lights and upper red lights
Running Lights = Only Right rear tail light is on.
Running lights with Left Turn signal = Only Right rear tail light is on, does not flash
Running lights with Right turn signal = Left side and left tail light flash, Right tail light is on but not flashing, right side flashes
Running Lights with Hazards = Left side and left tail light flash, Right tail light is on but not flashing, right side flashes
Left turn signal only = No lights
Right turn signal only = left side, left tail light, right side and right tail light all flash

I have checked the bulbs and they look good?

What should I check or where should I start?

Roberts0400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:46 PM   #2

Wyoming
Ok, with the disclaimer that I’m no electrical guru… since you have so many out, my first guess would be to either check or simply replace the entire RV pigtail wire. That’s the first point upstream after the truck where all of those wires & connections are located, and I’d bet there’s gotta be some broken wires in there somewhere.

They’re relatively inexpensive at around $75 or so… and although I’ve never done it, it’s my understanding that they’re pretty easy to replace.

Of course, you could get out a multimeter, and check for voltage at each individual wire connection where the pigtail connects with the junction box beforehand… but since it’s already 13 years old, it’s probably time to replace it anyway.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:21 PM   #3

Florida
About two years ago for giggles or my pigtail goes into the junction box and pull the cover off the junction box and found some of the connections we’re not very good I disconnected them one by one clean them at them with electric clean that you can get at AutoZone any auto parts storePut everything back together everything was nice and bright.
Hope this helps our best from Central Florida
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #4

Wisconsin
The combined tail/break light logic has always confused me. It takes me lots of time and experimenting to trouble shoot. I often get the logic wrong.

Since the failure occurred before you changed the 7 pin connector, I would guess it is a loose connector. Remember, a ground connector could be part of the problem. The running lights flashing when emergency flasher is "on" may mean a ground connection is the problem.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #5

Florida
It could also be a shorted bulb (crossing over from the directional to the running light). I've had that happen several times in my previous life.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:57 PM   #6

Iowa
You guys are getting me on the right track. I opened the junction box that the pig tail runs to and found the yellow wire from pig tail not connected to anything. Using my test light and how it is wire that is my left turn and brake. So makes sense that is not working. Problem is I don’t know what to connect it to? No yellow wire in junction box to connect it to? What does that combine with?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EACF49FB-ADDE-4DAB-B5DE-7C7765BE1D0A.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	7012   Click image for larger version

Name:	AB1B8BDC-36B2-4F18-97E6-3E81D315B0B0.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	7013   Click image for larger version

Name:	2BE2BA8C-D3CA-499A-B5BA-0CF199CEE148.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	7014  
Old 08-03-2021, 01:36 AM   #7

Wyoming
Check out this YouTube video…

https://youtu.be/I_Ego1emHwU
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 08-12-2021, 04:42 PM   #8

Iowa
The Fix

I ended up getting frustrated and took it to a trailer shop to figure this out.
The guy told me their is truck wiring specs and RV wiring specs and they sometimes don't match up.
This is how they ended up matching up to my 2014 Ford F-150

Truck plug........camper plug
- Blue --> Blue
- White --> White
- Brown --> Green
- Green --> Brown
- Yellow --> Red
- Red --> Yellow (not used on the camper)
- Black --> Black

Thanks for all that replied and tried to help me figure this out.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #9

Wyoming

So the marker/clearance lights spade, and both turn signal lights spades on the plugs are/were mismatched. Sheesh... so which side (truck or camper) was wired incorrectly to standard? Probably doesn't matter unless you intend to pull the camper with another truck in the future, but was just curious who screwed up: Ford or Dutchmen? I'm thinking the latter, but you never know.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out!!

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE

Tags
brake lights, trailer lights, turn signals