Stereo wiring - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2022, 11:30 PM   #1

Idaho
Stereo wiring

I recently bought a new 2012 Dutchman and there was no stereo. When I bought one and went to install it there were only speaker wires and no power wires. Any help as to if this is normal on campers and if I can utilize my 12v plug and convert my stereo to use that outlet that is close?
Thanks

JerridB32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:11 PM   #2

Montana
The campers I have seen all have some type of stereo in them, so I would say it is odd that your camper does not. Should be fine to use that power wire. If you're installing a stereo that drives a lot of watts, then you could run into a situation where that wire cannot support that load without a big voltage drop. My hunch is that this won't be a problem though. Keep in mind that you are probably adding a small parasitic load to your 12V system for the stereo's clocks and memory that may or may not matter depending on your storage practices.

Old 05-16-2022, 05:49 PM   #3

Idaho
That was my thought when I couldn’t find the power wire for a stereo when it he been wired for speakers already. I appreciate your help on this! I think I’ve got my solution as I don’t intend to use more than a simple Bluetooth stereo and a couple speakers for ambiance more than anything.
Thanks so much
JerridB32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:23 PM   #4

Oregon
To eliminate the parasitic load, you might be able to turn that stereo, clock, etc off completely when you are not camping. I can do that with my Jensen.

You could also install an on-off switch, perhaps in an adjacent opening.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:06 PM   #5

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerridB32 View Post
That was my thought when I couldn’t find the power wire for a stereo when it he been wired for speakers already. I appreciate your help on this! I think I’ve got my solution as I don’t intend to use more than a simple Bluetooth stereo and a couple speakers for ambiance more than anything.
Thanks so much
Yeah we just do Bluetooth now