Split Antenna and Cable feeds - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2016, 12:50 AM   #1

New Jersey
Split Antenna and Cable feeds

I've got a bit of a unique situation. We spend 6 weeks at a campground in FL. The campground provides basic (non HD) cable service. I also get internet over the cable with a cable modem. I'm adding a Tivo DVR, and would like to be able to use our Jack roof antenna to feed the Tivo HD over the air signal, and still feed the TVs cable TV.

Our unit is a 2013 Dutchmen Voltage V 3105.

I know that if I turn the antenna booster (amplifier) on, it kills the cable TV and internet. What I'm looking to do is separate the cable feed from the outside jack and to the 3 TVs and cable modem from the signal coming from the roof top antenna. Ideally, I'd like to separate the antenna feed and be able to amplify it and send it only to the Tivo. The Tivo will be in the cabinet with the antenna booster switch. The Tivo will connect to the main TV with an HDMI cable. If there is a way to break out the antenna signal to feed the Tivo, and leave the cable feeding the TVs directly, then I can use the main TV input selector to watch cable (low def) or Tivo feed by antenna on HDMI input.

I hope this all makes sense, and someone can advise how to separate the antenna and booster from the cable TV circuit.

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2016, 01:28 AM   #2

Wyoming
Hey Paul...

I'll admit I'm no expert, but I think this "loop" is where the antenna & cable TV coaxial cables are joined. One input being just the antenna... the other from the outside cable feed. This "loop" marries the 2... and the amplifier switch module is located 'upstream' from there. When the amplifier switch is turned on, it overrides the cable signal.

At least, I think that's how it works. Otherwise, what's the purpose of that small loop of coaxial cable?

So if you can isolate which inputs on that loop are the cable and antenna feeds... you should be able to go from there.

BTW... when's that new truck arriving? Gotta be soon now, right?

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:42 AM   #3

Arizona
That loop is where I inserted my Directv box before I went wireless Genie. Both cable and roof antenna are in the coax at that point. I don't know where it is in your trailer but you're going to have to find the splitter where the cable and roof coax meet. My guess is it is in the wall behind your main TV. Then you can go from there to split the signals.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #4

Michigan
If I am reading this correctly, you should be able to split the signals behind the amplifier plate. All of the cables come together behind there.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:38 PM   #5

New Jersey
Appreciate everyone's input. I'm pretty sure the jumper is just to allow a box to be inserted into the circuit, like a satellite receiver.

I agree with the comments that the antenna feed comes in somewhere behind the wall. I was hoping someone had experience at doing something similar. I suspect the antenna may directly connect to the back of the plate with the booster on/off button. If this is correct, I should be able to isolate the antenna to feed only into the booster and out the jack on that plate, and leave the cable (outside jack feed) feeding all TVs and my cable modem. Guess I'm going to have to get a tone generator and try to tone out the antenna cable from the roof. Then I can work at isolating it.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

Michigan
If I remember correctly, the back of the booster is labelled so that may help in locating it.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote