Some outlets work, some don't - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2015, 02:53 AM   #1

Missouri
Unhappy Some outlets work, some don't

We have a 2006 Freedom Spirit 26B-DSL. While we were camping, 6 of the possible 10 outlets quit working. The bedroom is at the front and none of those work, the outlet where the TV goes, just in front of the bedroom, and the refrigerator plugin are the ones that don't work. There is electric going into the converter, which is a WFCO 3 stage. My husband used a voltmeter and checked this to be sure. We are stumped and getting frustrated. Can someone please help? the outlets have the wires pushed into the blades on each side.

24KtNanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:14 AM   #2

South Carolina
Sounds like you tripped either a circuit breaker (prob located on the input, i.e. 120VAC side of the converter box) or a GFCI, perhaps in the bathroom, near a sink, etc. You know, the kind with the test and reset buttons. Regular outlets are slaved off of these GFCIs. Barring all of that, you might have a wire pulled loose somewhere, such as near a slide?

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
I vote for either a tripped/bad GFCI, tripped breaker or a loose connection, in that order.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #4

Missouri
Some outlets work, some dont

The gfci outlet was not tripped but I did a reset on it anyway. Did the same thing with breakers and still nothing. There is only 1 outlet that has a reset on it. What should I do next?
Old 05-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #5

Virginia
(Only suggesting this if your somewhat familiar with a meter and breaker panels.) If you know what breaker it is, pull the panel off and check for loose wires and power going to that breaker. Then that will tell you which direction to go.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #6

Missouri
some outlets work, some don't

Ok. I think I can do that. Thank you all, I will let you know what happens. It will be later in the day as I have to plant my garden, but I will check.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
If the breaker checks out, start down the line checking each plug for broken or pulled out wires, that is if you feel you can do it. Otherwise call a professional. To the best of my knowlege no wiring diagrams exist for Dutchmen products, at least none available to the general public or most service centers.

Aaron
Old 05-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #8

Missouri
Some outlets wor, some dont

Ok. The breaker was checked with a volt meter. It has electric coming out. The outlets, all 10 run off 1 15 am breaker. Is this normal. The wires in the outlets look good. Anything else I can try?
Old 05-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24KtNanna View Post
Ok. The breaker was checked with a volt meter. It has electric coming out. The outlets, all 10 run off 1 15 am breaker. Is this normal. The wires in the outlets look good. Anything else I can try?
Can you determine which is the first outlet in line? I do find it hard to believe that all 10 would be wired on one circuit, but I have seen similar stupid stuff from Dutchmen.

My guess at this point is you have a single bad plug and everything down stream from it is not getting power. The only way to isolate is to check the wires at the last working plug going to towards the first unworking one. There could be a break in a line between a couple of plugs too, those can be caused by a variety of things, including a screw run through a wire.

Aaron
Old 05-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #10

Missouri
Ok. We will do that. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2015, 12:22 AM   #11

Colorado
I'd bet that there is another outlet somewhere, and its a GFI...and it tripped.

There is a GFI outlet in our 3800 main bath, and its circuit has outlets in the wet cabinet outside, in the garage...all sorts of weird places.

I'm not sure, but I think there is a GFI outlet behind the outside television...

Just a thought,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:50 AM   #12

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I'd bet that there is another outlet somewhere, and its a GFI...and it tripped.

There is a GFI outlet in our 3800 main bath, and its circuit has outlets in the wet cabinet outside, in the garage...all sorts of weird places.

I'm not sure, but I think there is a GFI outlet behind the outside television...

Just a thought,

Pirate
I tend to agree. Almost half of the outlets gone, and only one GFCI to check so far. I would have thought a nail through a wire, but that's a new-product symptom, and this is a 2006 model. If there was a nail, it would have shown up before. Unless there has been some recent nailing or fastening?
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:55 AM   #13

Colorado
Sigh, have had one experience so far with a nail through the romex. But found quickly and addressed.

I'd just about bet there is another GFI outlet somewhere...and have to move just about everything in the unit to find it...but its probably there somewhere!!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:57 AM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
I tend to agree. Almost half of the outlets gone, and only one GFCI to check so far. I would have thought a nail through a wire, but that's a new-product symptom, and this is a 2006 model. If there was a nail, it would have shown up before. Unless there has been some recent nailing or fastening?
If they barely nicked the wire with a staple or screw it could take a while for the vibration of moving to cause it to completely fail. I have seen a wire cut nearly in half by a nail that finally failed when someone tried to pull full current across it. Wire had been in place for over 10 years (residential BTW)

Aaron
Old 05-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #15

Missouri
We have checked the outlets that we have found. There has not been and modifications, nailings or fastenings. We never have found the outlet for the microwave, but will look again today. My husband said to make a double extension cord and back feed it thru to see if they will work. Does this sound like something to try? Im ignorant about this stuff, he knows house electric but with the converter, I am assuming(bad) that this is more complicated? Also, I am not sure what a wet cabinet is, and there is no garage. Sorry to keep asking, but I just want it fixed right, I have always figured if it is supposed to work, then it needs to work right.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:58 PM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24KtNanna View Post
We have checked the outlets that we have found. There has not been and modifications, nailings or fastenings. We never have found the outlet for the microwave, but will look again today. My husband said to make a double extension cord and back feed it thru to see if they will work. Does this sound like something to try? Im ignorant about this stuff, he knows house electric but with the converter, I am assuming(bad) that this is more complicated? Also, I am not sure what a wet cabinet is, and there is no garage. Sorry to keep asking, but I just want it fixed right, I have always figured if it is supposed to work, then it needs to work right.
Got good insurance?

The converter really doesn't have anything to do with the 120 volt plugs, it is to CONVERT the 120 volt power to 12 volt for the 12 volt lights, fans, etc and to charge the batteries. The only thing it has to do with 120 volt is hold the circuit breakers.

Now... what your husband is proposing sounds like something I would do. As long as the camper is unplugged and you have isolated the circuit it should work. YoYo... Your Own Your Own!

Aaron
Old 05-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #17

Missouri
Ok. I will let you all know what we find. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #18

Missouri
Well it is fixed. He pulled the converter box out a little to check everything he could and found the breakers were flopping around. One of them has a chip out of the corner of it. He worked and worked to get the seated good and low and behold the electric came to the outlets. They read normal on the volt meter before, so he never pulled them. I am sure glad he did. Thank you everyone for all the ideas.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #19

New York
24KtNanna - thanks for the come back with the outcome......it is always great hearing that your problem has been solved and how it was solved.......

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote