Slide Jam - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #1

Florida
Slide Jam

I had a Dutchmen 31 FKDS moved to a campsite. It was a difficult job, as it was maneuvered into a tight spot nestled in between some nice trees. The guy that expertly got it in there, did so with a skid-steer with a ball on the end of one of the forks. He had to jostle it back and forth to get it placed 'just right.' Last weekend - for the first time - I attempted to bring in the large forward slide. It soon 'jammed' up. The rear edge of the slide rubbed significantly against the opening edge of the camper - while the forward edge, had what I'd call 'excessive' clearance. I was alarmed, and pretty worried - what might have caused this? How could I rectify it? Then I started thinking . . . could it be that in so tightly maneuvering the camper into the spot - with the last moves being 'side-to-side' on the nose, could it be that the frame is essentially slightly bent/warped? Not straight? I'm actually hoping so, as I can more easily rectify that, than trying to learn how to make adjustment to the complicated looking slide mechanisms. If anyone has a thought - or has experienced this - I would SURE appreciate some thoughts. I was only able to get the slide to come in by physically assisting it by grabbing and pulling it from the inside - at the back, where it was rubbing and jamming.

SilverHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #2

Florida
do you know what kind of slide mechanism you have? are there cables?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #3

Florida
Jamming Slide

Thanks VERY much. I have a Thompson Motor/Gearbox - no cables - Model 7828696
Old 02-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #4

Florida
Here are some fotos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSC03076.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	6146   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_SLIDE MOTOR - LIVING ROOM - A- (11).jpg
Views:	221
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	6147  
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #5

Florida
have you checked to see if the gears are broken or chipped?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #6

Florida
Slide Jam

I've looked, and they have all appeared to be in perfect shape . . . can a frame not be 'warped' by moving just the tongue laterally? I'm feeling strongly this is what has happened, but what do I know?
Old 02-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #7

Arizona
I park a lot of trailers with a fork lift when I'm setting up our monthly RV shows. Sometimes I really have to twist them into position. Many times the tires and suspension will flex in tight maneuvering. To fix that I bring the trailer fore and aft to 'relax' the tires and suspension. I suggest you hook up your tow vehicle and pull the trailer forward about 6 or 8 feet and then reverse it back to where it was. Everything should go back to normal.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #8

Florida
AZDRYHEAT - thanks for that . . . I'm really thinking this is what happened. The last movements to 'shoehorn' this camper in were anything but 'smooth.' The last move(s) was purely at 90 degrees to the camper. It occurred to me because when you park a jet . . . you have to be careful to make the final movement in a straight line - otherwise, it can actually at times be difficult to get a door open . . . because the 'frame' is somewhat kinked.