Slide Failure - Kodiak 291 RESL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2018, 12:38 AM   #1

South Carolina
Slide Failure - Kodiak 291 RESL

I just wanted to share one of my recent what I call, “Adventures in Camping” events. We own a 2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 291RESL. We went camping last weekend. Before we left I had the camper at home and rolled in each slide prior to leaving without difficulty. Got to the campsite and the large slide had no power. I checked every fuse in the fuse box, the battery, checked and reconnected shore power but couldn’t find anything. Spent the first night with only one slide out. Had a mobile RV repairman come out. To make a long story short, after checking everything I checked and about an hour and fifteen minutes later he finally found more fuses under the sink in the bathroom. The 30amp fuse for the slide had blown. New fuse and it was good to go, minus $150.00. At least it was an easy fix.

JASONRN97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #2

Ontario
Good to know it wasn't a huge issue. A blown fuse is an easy fix.

Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:42 PM   #3

South Carolina
You would think all the fuses would be all in one place in the converter/power supply...............UGHHH.

Guess I will spend tomorrow looking in every nook and cranny for wayward fuses. Never know what I may find
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:34 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
You would think all the fuses would be all in one place in the converter/power supply...............UGHHH.

Guess I will spend tomorrow looking in every nook and cranny for wayward fuses. Never know what I may find
They hide them everywhere! I found that the stabilizers have fuses near the switches. One of the grounds came off and the rear stabilizer stopped working. That was fun to find. I have made up my mind and am putting one of my volt meters in with the rest of my tools.

https://www.tequipment.net/FlukeTPlu...xoCWq8QAvD_BwE
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:59 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Voltmeter should be a mandatory tool for any RV.

It's a shame they build them the way they do, no real consistency. Best thing is to poke, prod and pry until you know the unit inside and out and know where EVERYTHING is.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Voltmeter should be a mandatory tool for any RV.

It's a shame they build them the way they do, no real consistency. Best thing is to poke, prod and pry until you know the unit inside and out and know where EVERYTHING is.

Aaron
I've got four of these things, all different models. I probably should put one of the ones that have OHMS AND Voltage instead of this one. Was going for small! Until recently, I didn't have a need for one.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
They hide them everywhere! I found that the stabilizers have fuses near the switches. One of the grounds came off and the rear stabilizer stopped working. That was fun to find. I have made up my mind and am putting one of my volt meters in with the rest of my tools.

https://www.tequipment.net/FlukeTPlu...xoCWq8QAvD_BwE

Speaking of wayward fuses.
Was I seeing things? I leaned under my trailer to open the valves for the fresh water tank and happened to glance behind one of the wheels. Did I see an inline fuse holder??? And it looked like all four had it. I imagine, if I was not seeing things its for the electric brakes. Hmmmm

The trailer is sitting on gravel so did not investigate further. Will move it this afternoon.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Speaking of wayward fuses.
Was I seeing things? I leaned under my trailer to open the valves for the fresh water tank and happened to glance behind one of the wheels. Did I see an inline fuse holder??? And it looked like all four had it. I imagine, if I was not seeing things its for the electric brakes. Hmmmm

The trailer is sitting on gravel so did not investigate further. Will move it this afternoon.
Possibly where they spliced the wiring harness to the brake wires?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #9

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Possibly where they spliced the wiring harness to the brake wires?

Aaron

Thanks, could be. I will check.

Bill