Satellite Radio Antenna - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #1

Wyoming
Satellite Radio Antenna

I have a Sirius radio in my trailer and originally mounted the antenna to the inside of the ceiling behind the radio using double-back tape. This worked great with a full three bars of reception until I went north on my vacation.

I was getting only a half bar and the radio often quit while 'acquiring signal'. Seems the further north you go the weaker the signal as I guess the satellites are getting lower on the horizon.

Since the Sirius radio in my truck works quite fine I came to the conclusion that my trailer antenna needs to be mounted outside on the roof. I did toss it up there through the open door and the signal strength went from a half bar to two and a half bars so the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

Now, that means drilling a hole through the roof to run the wire. Any suggestions out there on the best way to do this? (I know a drill will work best- just thought I'd put that out there first as I know Coops would...)

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #2

Oklahoma
My dos pesos here. If I had to drill I'd drill through a side wall instead of the roof. The small antenna coax may not be hidden well but it sure would be better than having water penetrate through the hole in the roof.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #3

Wyoming
Thanks Sundancer, the problem is that the awning is on that side so while a good idea won't work for this application.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #4

British Columbia
I have a Sirius radio as well. I take the radio head from the truck and install it into the home base receptacle. Hook up the out put from the Sirius radio head into the aux input of the Jensen DVD radio player in the trailer. Since the unit is close to the door I run my home radio antenna, which over 20 ft, thought the doorway. The antenna wire is small enough that both the screen and out side door close tightly. I place the antenna puck either on the propane tank cover on the front or on the rear bumper...depending signal strength ....sometimes the signal is not always full bars..but I do get my "classic rewind" and classic vinyl " and " book radio" channels. I do not like to drill holes into the roof or the sides of the trailer. This set up works for me.

Just my 2 bits worth.

Coops
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #5

Wyoming
I have my dock wired into the rear of my Jensen system. Coops, the only issue I can see with your idea is that after a while of closing the door on the antenna cable it will break inside. It is a coax cable, a really tiny one and from what I've heard quite fragile. A lot of other people I've talked to about this say they have replaced their antenna a couple times.
I have since come up with a plan which I will attempt this weekend. My AM/FM antenna is right over my stereo system. I plan to take the antenna off and elongate the existing hole to accomodate my Sirius cable, replace the AM/FM antenna and reseal using the Dicor sealant.
I'll take pics and post an update after I'm done.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #6

British Columbia
Good comments.your right ....repeated closing the door,will over time, break or cut the wire....my roof antenna is right above my stereo system as well ....so I am very interested to see how your set up will work.. I hate putting another hole in the TT..just another potential spot to leak...maybe I should give up the Sat radio for CBC radio 2... I could get used to the "classics"...although there is nothing wrong with it...just don' t to offend any classical music lovers on the forum need to be politically correct now a days

Coops
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #7

Indiana
You've got all kinds of holes that have been created throughout your roof and everyone else out there, too.

I wouldn't hesitate to mount an antenna and bring the wire through the roof. Like you said you're going to put the Dicor sealant to it. That's how the manufactures and dealers do it.

I'd go for it.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #8

Wyoming
Thanks, but the project has been completed. I posted pics here:

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums....html#post7072