Running Lights - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #1

Texas
Running Lights

I have a 2008 29Q-GS Dutchman and I'm having trouble with some of my running lights. I have a 7 pin connector and have checked it all however, the red running lights in the rear work fine but the amber lights along the side and the front don't come on at all. I have tried to everything short of pulling the a light off and going that route.

Any ideas?

Jocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Sounds like you have a cut wire or missing ground somewhere. Typically those lights are wired using a single wire down each side. In most cases the wire from the umbilical has a splice right inside the trailer, one line will lead to the rear tail lights, the other feeds the running lights, I have also seen the splice at the back near the tail lights too.

Also just of giggles and grins... make sure they have bulbs in them. I had a trailer one time with no interior lights, checked fuses, started on the wiring, pulled a cover to get a continuity check and no bulbs, pulled another cover and another...

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #3

Texas
Thanks! I have checked all the bulbs to make sure they had them and that they all worked, wasn't sure if a burnt out bulb would make the rest stop working.

I think I'm going to have to pull a light off and try to see whats going. Its weird because its only the amber lights on both sides of the trailer and all the reds work and the reds are all in the back.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:58 AM   #4

British Columbia
One problem that I have found is them inline quick splices. I have seen more than one go bad due to corrosion, or they used one that was too small and ultimately the wire breaks somewhere down the road.

There are no more of those left in my rig, I have changed them all to properly spliced and soldered joints with shrink tube and liquid electrical tape. I've never had one of my splices fail in all the years I've been doing them.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Check the ground wires as well. I had a bad ground connection in one light, and since they are daisy chained together, all the rest down line quit working as well. Start from the front and work your way back.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #6

Texas
Well, I have pulled all the amber lights and found that I have continuity between all the amber lights but not to the junction box where all the wires are located. So unless there is a slice somewhere that I cant find, I don't know.

I guess its time to go spend some money.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 AM   #7

Colorado
Same running light issue

I have the same issue with my amber running lights. The tail lights work, but my amber quit several months ago. I checked the junction box at the front of the trailer and I have voltage there going to the amber lights. I would be interested in how you get yours resolved. Thanks.
mlprewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #8

Texas
I ended up pulling the front diamond plate cover off and running a new light the lights.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocho View Post
I ended up pulling the front diamond plate cover off and running a new light the lights.
Sometimes the best solution is to just bypass the OEM stuff. It boggles the mind, how they wire stuff in campers.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #10

Washington
Where is the junction box for road light located? I see the main box for battery power but I have a trailer with insulation between the frame rails and don't want to go on a snipe hunt for it.

UT-Zag is offline   Reply With Quote