Replacing outlets with USB outlets - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #1

Indiana
Replacing outlets with USB outlets

We have a '19 Coleman Lantern LX 2125BH. I would like to replace a couple of the electrical outlets inside of the camper with USB charging receptacles. Is the electric in our campers stable enough and does anyone see any issue with making this switch? I do use a surge protector when connecting to 30amp service.

Thank you

Lee

Ljramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #2

Tennessee
There will be no issue. I've been charging electronics in my RV for years without a single problem. Many of the newer RV's come with USB charging ports

Old 09-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #3

Arizona
Most all new RVs have USB ports built in. One thing to remember is your walls are very thin and may not take the depth of an outlet like you would use in your home.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #4

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Most all new RVs have USB ports built in. One thing to remember is your walls are very thin and may not take the depth of an outlet like you would use in your home.
Excellent tidbit, thank you. I had not thought about that. I will check outlet depth.
Ljramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #5

Texas
Just remember, putting an A/C combo DC USB plug is still using A/C to make that USB port hot. To have it HOT while boondocking you will still need an inverter or generator.

I would suggest, if you are considering off grid camping, to run DC wiring separately from your DC panel or battery system with a fuse and and install separate USB outlets.

My 2 cents.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:14 AM   #6

California
I went to an auto parts store and bought a 12v cigarette lighter receptacle that I ran directly to my battery with fairly small gauge wire and installed next to my bed in my old trailer like @csclark is suggesting. The reason I did that is because there is no conversion of 12 to 5 volts that happens in a usb outlet so nothing to burn out or break. Then I just plugged in a usb car adapter into the receptacle so that if adapter had an issue I could just use another one. Plus it allows you to still have 12 volts in the trailer to charge power packs or even check your trailer batteries with a multimeter without having to open up the battery boxes.

Of course the usb outlet would work too but that is all you will have then.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #7

Florida
Hub bell has a new line of usb outlets that is smaller than their previous outlets plus it supporrts USB C which is rated for higher power and faster charging. I installed two of them in the kitchen and put them on their own circuit and it Chan charge two devices at the same time... everyone makes a good point concerning boonedocking and charging.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote