Potential hazardous 110 volt electrical problem - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #1

Michigan
Potential hazardous 110 volt electrical problem

Has anyone noticed anything bad going on with their 110 electrical system? The reason I asked, yesterday I was packing up my rig for our yearly trek to Texas and had my "no contact" electrical checker in my hand. My finger was on the trigger and the darn thing sounded like it was in close proximity to a live 110 power source.

As I thought to myself "that is strange" I began to wonder why it would sound unless I am suffering from a "hot skin". It turns out the entire unit is sounding when ever I get close to the outside skin of the rig. Has anyone else experienced this?

Here is an article I came across while searching the web for information.

RV Electrical Safety: Part IV

If anyone is close to their rig and internet check it out and give me your feedback. Me thinks this is a possible life safety hazard.

GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

Quebec
When I first took delivery of my trailer I connected it to a 15-amp, ground-fault protected exterior plug at my home to try out some of the electrical equipment in the unit. The ground-fault protector immediately tripped. Several retries provided the same results. After a lot of diagnostics on my part, I finally tracked it down to a single electrical box under one of the slides that housed connections for the 110-volt outlet under the dining room table. When I unscrewed the cover of the box, I was doused with about 6 ounces of rusty water. Turned out the box was never sealed even though it was right above one of the wheels. I'm guessing it was raining when the trailer was delivered to my dealer.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote