possessed fridge light - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2020, 01:36 AM   #1

Utah
possessed fridge light

Brand new Dometic DM2872RBX. I noticed the wonderful LED light would not always turn on when I open the fridge door, regardless of whether it was on 12 VDC/LP gas or 110 VAC shore power.

However, once the fridge compartment itself cooled down to a typical temperature....BOOM! The fridge light comes on, and continues to do so regardless of what power mode the fridge is using.

I could not find anything in the manual or online indicating that this is a feature. Has anyone heard of this before? Perhaps Dometic is using the light as a feature to indicate when the fridge is cool or cold? Just a theory at this point - will test some more.

Any thoughts/ideas? Am I crazy, or is my fridge possessed?

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:22 PM   #2

California
So I take it this is a new fridge in the RV you have had for a while? That does seem weird. I was going to suggest that you check the switch that gets pressed when the door is closed and see if it might get hung up but if it always works when the fridge is cold then very unlikely a problem there.

Maybe when the fans are running to cool the fridge there is not sufficient power for the lights too but I doubt ether as well.

I would say call the manufacturer on Monday and ask them.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #3

Utah
Thank you. Yes - new fridge but also in new RV. My fridge has no fan that I can see or hear. Also no physical switch against the door. Not sure of the mechanism - magnetic somehow? Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31B8CF30-A537-4C68-B200-4CAB78ABD23C.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	6380  
Old 07-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #4

Florida
I found the manual for the 2862 (not the 72)...

https://fourwheelcampers.com/NewDome...atorManual.pdf

this page has lots of the electrical diagrams for the fridge. Possibly the lamp coming on is an indicator that the fridge is the proper temp!

https://highskyrvparts.com/downloads...%20Freezer.pdf

Does the light go off when you close the door? an age old question!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #5

Utah
I have both installation and the operation manual, and they say nothing about the light whatsoever. Would be so simple for Dometic to make a statement that the light will not operate or turn on until a certain level of coolness is achieved. I think that would avoid a lot of confusion. Even the dealer had never heard of this before.

I may call Dometic on Monday, but I tried talking to them a year or so ago about another product and they were extremely unhelpful.

Oh, and yes… The light does go off when I shut the door. There is a slight delay with the light turning on when I open the door, so I can see it is off and then turns bright what’s the fridge is cool enough.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #6

Alabama
From looking at the diagrams, it looks like the heating cable causes the light to come on after the thermistor get hot enough to insure the fridge has gotten to a certain temp.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:05 PM   #7

Utah
Thank you. That is certainly consistent with what I am seeing. I called the manufacturer (Dometic) yesterday and spoke to their technicians and other folks. They have never heard of this before and are stumped themselves. Haha.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:26 PM   #8

Colorado
possessed fridge

Your fridge is clearly possessed. If you replace the fuse or magnetic switch, it will quit spinning its head. The switch is located on the main circuit board between the fridge and freezer. The fuse is in various places, and hard to find depending on model and year.
leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #9

Utah
Thanks. The light works just fine and consistently, but ONLY when the fridge is cooled. I am wondering if OldOneTwo is correct. Just funny that the manufacturer doesn't know anything about it.