Portable generator and grounding - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2017, 01:27 AM   #21

Ohio
Pat, can you imagine my embarrassment considering I'm supposed to be the "expert" and here I am asking the questions? 😂

Aaron, I agree with everything you say!

When you're not connected to an earth ground there's a chance for rogue current. Period. A bonded neutral at a portable generator does nothing to dissipate this fact, but masks its presence from surge protectors and GFIs (from my understanding). I assume the allowance of the installation by the NEC is due to the fact that available fault current is so small in comparison to a dwelling or commercial installation. (I could also be completely off base!)

I understand why companies require rods. Any risk is too much risk when OSHA, and lawyers could be involved!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 05-04-2017, 02:43 AM   #22

Oklahoma
Not to mention the foot of rod (per NEC) left sticking out of the ground unless those that carry grounding rods also carry farm jacks to get it out of the ground.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #23

New Jersey
I'm going to keep my cell phone camera ready, for the next time I see someone at a campsite driving in that 8 foot rod.

I guess there's no single "silver bullet" solution.. so that the correct course of action would depend on the situation..

That being said, I'm a lot more comfortable asking the question than messing up because I was too proud to ask....

Experience is a harsh teacher. During my college days I worked as a millwright during the summers.. Almost fell off of a 30 ft high roof when I picked up a power drill which had a missing ground lug. It had rained and everything was wet.. The tingle was so strong,I saw stars, and luckily jumped away from the edge unplugging the drill in the process.. After that, when using electrical devices in wet surroundings, or where there is any possibility of stray currents, I always test the device by touching it with the back of my fingers. Any shock will make your muscles contract pulling your fingers away from the source!!!

I don't fear electricity but I do respect it.. That's why I installed the Progressive industries power management system in my trailer..
There's no telling what faults exist in rv park electrical systems...

Safe camping to all...
Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #24
Site Team

North Carolina
I work in the heavy construction industry, currently as the safety guy for a national industrial wall panel and roofing contractor. Falls are the leading killer in construction. I don't worry about that with our guys. They do very well with fall protection. It is the electrical that they can't seem to get a handle on. I just did a review on our "problems" from last year and over half of the inspection reports had notations on electrical non compliance items.

There is no easy answer, and every time you think you have all the bases covered somebody goes and steals one. Due diligence and checking your equipment is the best you can do.

On our camper I use a portable EMS, I regularly check all electrical connections for tightness, signs of corrosion or overheating. I have a motor home now so the generator is part of the total system.

Everyone knows what a GFCI is and that they are a good idea. I have been doing some research and we are looking at building up some portable power panels for our projects using AFCI (Arc-fault Circuit Interrupter) breakers. We have had two minor roof fires in the past year due to a bad cord and a bad piece of equipment. Neither one was readily seen by a visual inspection prior to use. Time and research will tell if this is viable or not.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #25

New Jersey
Amen Aaron.. It does help when you know what to look for..
Allentown, NJ
Old 05-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #26

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I work in the heavy construction industry, currently as the safety guy for a national industrial wall panel and roofing contractor. Falls are the leading killer in construction. I don't worry about that with our guys. They do very well with fall protection. It is the electrical that they can't seem to get a handle on. I just did a review on our "problems" from last year and over half of the inspection reports had notations on electrical non compliance items.

There is no easy answer, and every time you think you have all the bases covered somebody goes and steals one.[emoji38] Due diligence and checking your equipment is the best you can do.

On our camper I use a portable EMS, I regularly check all electrical connections for tightness, signs of corrosion or overheating. I have a motor home now so the generator is part of the total system.

Everyone knows what a GFCI is and that they are a good idea. I have been doing some research and we are looking at building up some portable power panels for our projects using AFCI (Arc-fault Circuit Interrupter) breakers. We have had two minor roof fires in the past year due to a bad cord and a bad piece of equipment. Neither one was readily seen by a visual inspection prior to use. Time and research will tell if this is viable or not.

Aaron
Those AFCIs are outrageous (at least they used to be when the requirement for their use was added to residential code)

Old 05-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #27

New Jersey
Hi Aaron,
I'll have to look them up.. AFCI's sound really interesting..
Allentown, NJ
Old 05-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #28
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
Those AFCIs are outrageous (at least they used to be when the requirement for their use was added to residential code)

Supply and demand

Prices have come down. I just 'upgraded' a couple of circuits at the big house with 20 amp GFCI/AFCI breakers and they were ~$50 each. We are probably going to be doing a major rewire of that house in a couple of years. Now that is going to be expensive because bubba here wants bolt in commercial grade breakers.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote