Opinions on Fan-tastic fan and wiring options - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2016, 12:45 AM   #1

Ontario
Opinions on Fan-tastic fan and wiring options

We have a ceiling vent in our bedroom that doesn't have a fan or any power supply. I'd like to install a powered fan, the Fan-tastic model looks very interesting. Are these good units?

Also, I haven't done any wiring in my trailer yet. I have 12V supply in the bedroom obviously, but what's the preferred way to run power supply? Can you fish wires through the ceiling, is it best to go outside the trailer? I'm just wondering how other folks go about routing power. Thanks.

WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:24 AM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlawnDon View Post
We have a ceiling vent in our bedroom that doesn't have a fan or any power supply. I'd like to install a powered fan, the Fan-tastic model looks very interesting. Are these good units?

Also, I haven't done any wiring in my trailer yet. I have 12V supply in the bedroom obviously, but what's the preferred way to run power supply? Can you fish wires through the ceiling, is it best to go outside the trailer? I'm just wondering how other folks go about routing power. Thanks.
Fan-tastic fans are fantastic.

If you do a lot of boondooking, you can keep your coach comfortable by cracking open a window on the shaded side and running it on high.

There is a slight chance, very slight, that there is a wire hidden up there. If you can take the garnish down you may see one capped off.

I have managed to fish wires up the wall from the power distribution panel and over the rafters. Believe me there were a few swear words involved, but the more something POs me the more determined I become. It's one of those things that you need an extra arm for.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Pull the inside vent garnish down and take a look. You might get lucky. I have tapped power from a variety of places, and in a few cases pulled power up a wall and across. On my Coleman I was able to tap power from a nearby ceiling mounted light. Depending on the construction of your trailer will depend on how hard or easy it is to pull wire, if it comes to that. The Fantastic Vents are good, as are the MaxxAir Deluxe. FWIW my Concord has two Fantastic Fans and I am adding a MaxxAir Deluxe to the bathroom.

Depending on how much you plan to use it you may want to add a cover over the Vent fan too.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:00 PM   #4

Florida
Great advice but if no wires are found, you may consider using some plastic decorative stick-on conduit to run from the fan to a 12V source such as the bedroom light.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:41 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Depending on how much you plan to use it you may want to add a cover over the Vent fan too.

Aaron
X2 on the cover.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
X2 on the cover.

Just put my cover on the garage vent today even though we've never used it
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #7

California
Fantastic or MaxxAir are both good fans, I've had both. Shouldn't be a big deal to run power from a ceiling light if close.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:36 PM   #8

Ontario
Thanks guys. No luck with having a wire there but it doesn't look like it will be too much trouble to fish wires through the ceiling.

WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote