Onan 5500 Generator Dies - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #41

Alabama
Generator Fix!

I got the run around many times with the dealership until finally finding out I had to purchase a new carburetor for high altitude. I paid about $450 and installed it myself in about 20 minutes. It now runs for the first time since driving off the lot!
I'm disappointed that the dealership which is in Denver CO would make me pay for the carburetor that is required to run at the dealership altitude. I am just happy it works now! for what its worth I have ran it at 5000' to 7500' with no issues so far.

WifiDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #42

Texas
Maybe they have a high altitude carb on mine and it doesn't work because I live in Austin. It wouldn't surprise me. Well, I'm glad you got it running. Hopefully, I will find a resolution, soon.

Whodatdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #43

Ohio
I think having a boost pump in the back pushing the fuel forward solves 95% of the problems. Sucking fuel some 40 feet is a lot to ask for a pump. I am still having an intermittent problem that I think is Carb related. Last time we had the issue the generator ran all night with out a problem. The next night it died after about 2 hours. The different symptom this time was it would not even fire unless the pressure was taken off the fuel feed to the carb. It would then run 30 minutes-2 hours. No fun getting up in the middle of night to fix that. When I got home, we used the genny to run the AC while we unloaded and it would run again. Figuring it was something in the carb, took the screw out at the bottom of the float bowl and shot carb cleaner in it. It ran fine for about 3 hours after that, so jury is still out.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #44

Colorado
Pirate writing. I didn't add a fuel filter, I added and electric fuel pump back at the tank. That pushes fuel forward to the Onan fuel pump at the Generator.

Ours is 5.5 Kw Onan and we can't run everything.

If we have both AC units on, the fridge needs to be on LP if you're going to use the microwave, and the TV.

The hot water heater needs to be on LP as well.

Its a bit of a learning curve. But you find out what you can run and the same time, and what you can't.

Running the fridge on LP and the hot water heater on LP really doesn't use that much LP so I don't worry about it.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #45

Texas
Someday Fuel Injection will even be on our lawnmowers?

I have a fleet of motorcycles. Not because I have a money tree, but more because of 45 years of riding and I can't emotionally take the depreciation hit on some of them. I keep them. Thus, dead batteries and clogged up carbs are not a foreign subject to me when I get the urge to ride one I haven't ridden in a long time.

But over the last few years, some of my bikes no longer came equipped with carbs. Fuel injection changes everything. Those bikes are almost can be ridden at sea level, AND over Engineering Pass! They don't even whimper, other than the fact they make noticeably less power at 14,000 feet.

It would be nice if the high-end smaller generators that consumers buy came with fuel injection. I'd gladly pony up the additional engineering costs.

I suspect some you fellas with the BIG fancy RV's would too?
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:35 AM   #46

Texas
Onan 5500 Generator Dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodatdude View Post
Maybe they have a high altitude carb on mine and it doesn't work because I live in Austin. It wouldn't surprise me. Well, I'm glad you got it running. Hopefully, I will find a resolution, soon.

Look for the round altitude adjustment knob about the size of a quartet front and center on your Onan. I run from the Llano Estacado down to the Hill Country and leave mine on top dead center.

Note: The following image is an older model Onan so it is not exactly the same but close. My knob is black but it's in about the same place.

https://www.google.com/search?q=onan...FiayH2f62bM%3A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #47

Washington
Second pump

I was having the same problem with the onan stopping for no reason on our V3200. I added the second pump just as pirate mentioned but added a three way valve as a T in the 1/4 inch line that runs to the generator. The second line of the T I connected to the vent line on the front fuel tank to provide a way to transfer fuel from the generator tank. Used quick connections on the power lead from the toy fuel pump in order to power the second pump without the generator running. It won't transfer fast, but now I can drain both tanks should the need arise.

Tags
3605 onan generator