No Power - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 01:23 AM   #21

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I am not impressed with WFCO, they are mediocre at best. What really ticks me off is their warranty claims process. IF they approve your warranty claim, you are without a converter for up to 6 weeks. If they don't approve it you are still out 6 weeks plus the cost of having to replace the converter. If you happen to be using a dealer to do the work you can add least $250+ to the bill plus the cost of a new converter. I would love to know what their failure rate is. Based on what I know I would wager it is in the 10%+ range which is not all that good. But they are one of the cheapest on the market and when the bean counters build RV's that's what you get.

On the last go around with them on my Coleman I just figured I was money ahead to swap in the the Progressive Dynamics, it was a better converter, produced more 12 volt power and cost less than $200. I got a bit peeved at them when they kept insisting that I take to an "authorized" service center. I got news for them, I know more than most of the techs at my closest center.

Aaron

Yes WaHoonc Guy, sometimes one can have a really bad experience with a product, then customer service for that product & that's it ... never again.

I liked the PowerMax because it will work with or without the batteries ... so since I've already pulled that stunt, I should be OK. Also, the PowerMax has 4 stage charger & a 3 yr warranty, so I figure that's all pretty good.

And even thou I won't be go'in out for some time ... sure wish it would hurry & ship ...

Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #22
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
Yes WaHoonc Guy, sometimes one can have a really bad experience with a product, then customer service for that product & that's it ... never again.

I liked the PowerMax because it will work with or without the batteries ... so since I've already pulled that stunt, I should be OK. Also, the PowerMax has 4 stage charger & a 3 yr warranty, so I figure that's all pretty good.

And even thou I won't be go'in out for some time ... sure wish it would hurry & ship ...

Should have ordered from Best Converter...

Keep a battery charger handy if you are planning to use your trailer at all between now and the time you get your new Powermax. You will need to keep the batteries charged up so you don't trash them. And if you are camping you will need them to power your lights and stuff.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #23

Utah
Quote:
Maybe, but seeing how I'm not in a real rush, I'll wait & save the $50 ...

Quote:
Keep a battery charger handy if you are planning to use your trailer at all between now and the time you get your new Powermax. You will need to keep the batteries charged up so you don't trash them. And if you are camping you will need them to power your lights and stuff.

Aaron

Yup, will do my friend !!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #24

Utah
Quote:

Aaron

Well Wahoonc Guy ........ I DID order my converter from Best Converter, here's why.

As I had been sitting around waiting for the converter to arrive from Amazon ... I kept looking at it & the same ones on E-bay. Monday, it dawned on me, the stickers on the PowerMax converter I had ordered & the ones on E-Bay, did NOT read "Boondocker" !!

They did read they were 4 stage converters, but nothing about working with or without batteries ... so real quick like, I contacted Amazon & canceled my order. I then ordered the "Boondocker" PowerMax 75A 4 Stage converter from Best Converter, and 2 days later, it arrived.

I just installed it & it didn't even make a peep nor did the fan come on like the WFCO converter always did ... and with the WFCO, the most voltage I ever got out of the batteries was 13.5v ... with the "Boondocker", I'm getting 14.7/8v ... so much better.

To say the least, I'm very pleased I bought the PowerMax "Boondocker" and not another WFCO !!

Thanks all the help guys, And here's a photo showing the difference in physical size. The "Boondocker is much larger & heavier AND, it has 3 fuses compared to the 2 fuses on the WFCO.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	3377  
Old 06-16-2016, 11:50 PM   #25
Site Team

North Carolina
Excellent!

Sometimes the lower price is lower for a reason.

I have the Boondocker on my upgrade list for my new motor home, just have a few other things ahead of it on the priority list.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:30 AM   #26

Utah
Quote:
Excellent!

Sometimes the lower price is lower for a reason.

I have the Boondocker on my upgrade list for my new motor home, just have a few other things ahead of it on the priority list.

Aaron

Yup ... and it looks like the battery voltage has settled down ... it's been holding steady now at 13.6v ... WOO HOO !!