no electrical power - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2021, 01:23 AM   #1

New York
no electrical power

I have a Voltage 2016 3990, I was shocked to find no power at all, and the batteries dead, All breakers were on, all fuses on the panel were good. As soon as I changed out the dead batteries, everything started to work. The trailer was still plugged into 50 Amp service, when nothing was working. After the battery was replaced, I thought everything would be OK, but after 3 days, I found that battery dead, and again nothing was operating. It seems to me that possibly the charging system is not working, and even when everything is off, and I touch the positive cable to the battery, there is a spark indicating a draw, or short somewhere. Does anyone have any ideas ? Thanks
Barry

barrymerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:47 AM   #2

Florida
There is probably always going to be a “spark” due to the vampire draws so I would not use that as a reliable indicator. If you have a good voltmeter, the batteries should read slightly over 13 volts when charging and about 12 volts when they are not. But, saying that, there could be issues with your charging system or possibly there is no 110 service to some of the rv and possibly everything is attempting to run off the inverters.

Good luck figuring this one out.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:17 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Check the voltages Frank suggested.

I sounds like the converter/charger is "off". What make and model charger do you have?
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:35 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
Check the voltages Frank suggested.

I sounds like the converter/charger is "off". What make and model charger do you have?

Agree with Persistent. I think your converter/charger is not working. Are you hearing the fan kick on when you are plugged in? DC converting from AC generates a ton of heat and the fan on the converter can usually be heard if it is quiet inside. It should be under the steps going to the bedroom.

I would assume there is a breaker or fuse on that too that you might check.