Loss of TV Signal with Bathroom vent fan on - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 11:49 PM   #1

Texas
Loss of TV Signal with Bathroom vent fan on

I have a 2011 Denali. Both TV's work properly on the antenna when the Bathroom fan is off. Whenever the fan is turned on both TV's lose their signal until the fan is turned off again. I have checked and during the loss of signal the Antenna Amplifier is still powered as the green lamp is lit. I am looking for suggestions to fix this annoying problem.

2Slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:32 AM   #2

South Carolina
This problem came up a couple of months ago, and several of us posted suggestions. My theory is that somebody wired the fan such that the on/off switch was on the ground side. Then somebody tapped the antenna amplifier into what they thought was the 12V+ side, but it was ground. With switch off, the amplifier is in fact in series with the fan motor. But with the switch on, the amp is grounded. That was the theory then, but doesn't jive with the green light staying on. Look for more inputs, but I'd start doing voltage checks at those two places. BTW, when you find out, please tell us all! Thanks.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:40 AM   #3

South Carolina
I found that thread from back in February. The story ended with somebody running replacement wiring: http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...tion-2642.html
Old 06-01-2015, 01:03 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I have more than one item mis-wired... My Coleman has exactly 5 light fixtures, one 12 volt port, a water pump and a fridge on the 12 volt system. Just how freaking hard is it to color match wires? I still have at least two that are messed up, you pull the fuse and you still get a partial feed to the light fixture. I am suspecting a improper splice somewhere, just haven't managed to locate it yet.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:09 PM   #5

Texas
90% fixed! First I checked the Votage at the fan, the TV Amplifier and Satellite control. There was no significant drop in the volatge all were above 13 volts. I then checked the fan. The fan motor was wired hot to ground and ground to hot. I reveresed this but no difference in TV's. I then wrapped the fan motor with aluminum duct tape. It improved the reception but did not fix the problem. I then wrapped all wiring and overlayed the motor with electrical tape. While doing this I realized the vent frame is mounted to wood. There appears to be no metal to metal ground except through the fan motor mounting. I ran a wire from the ground wire to the vent frame. We have multiple staions in our area. The stronger stations now stay on with little if any interference. Weaker stations either show no signal or go in and out. One analog station now is visible with sound lines across the screen. The TV furthest from the amplifier works very well. The TV closet to the amplifer has the most problem but it is in the bedroom with the amplifier behind it. Both are about 3 feet from the fan. HDTV Antenna is also 3 feet from fan. Considering a new antenna as antenna is not reliable for all stations. I suspect antenna is remainder of problem. If you have the same problem try grounding the vent frame before doing anything else. It is the quickest and easiest fix to try.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #6

South Carolina
I hadn't thought of this before, but now that you've reversed the wires, you should know..... Is the fan blowing the right way now? Reversing a DC motor wiring reverses its rotation. Does your fan blow into the TT now, instead of exhaust?
Before you replace the antenna, I would run a straight 12V and ground (or + and - from a 12V battery) straight to the antenna amplifier. I'll bet it works fine then. Somehow, I believe the amplifier and antenna are not at fault, but is the fault of weird wiring in the TT.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #7

Texas
Thanks for reminding me. It had reversed the fan. I corrected the wiring back to what was installed. Fan works properly and there is a small amount of further signal lose but not great. I think grounding the vent fan frame was the key fix. The antenna is an off brand fixed power antenna. Two local stations are hit and miss on reception. I will get it a chance to see how it works away from home before replacing it. I wish Dutchmen ahd ran the control wire to the amplifier to the electrical panel instead of having to go to the corner of the bedroom to turn it off or on. It would have been so simple to do. Thank everybody for your input.