lights flickering - converter bad? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #1

Louisiana
lights flickering - converter bad?

I have a 2013 Voltage 3600 and recently I have noticed the 12 volt system seems to have power fluctuations. It started when I was inside the camper - I noticed the lights would dim slightly for a few seconds, then go back to full brightness. This was happening everywhere inside the camper and continued indefinitely. I then noticed when extending the landing gear (electric, not hydraulic) that the motors would change to a lower pitch and slow down for a few seconds, then go back to normal.

I have read in an old post on another RV forum that someone suggested this could be the converter going out, but the OP never returned to confirm that was the case. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Old 08-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #2

Oklahoma
First thing I'd look at is the battery. Check those connections and electrolyte level. Might even have it or them load checked for a possible bad cell.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
First thing I'd look at is the battery. Check those connections and electrolyte level. Might even have it or them load checked for a possible bad cell.
I agree check the battery & connections. Don't forget the ground also.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
Djs

Utah
You can also check to make sure your converter screws are good and tight against the copper wires coming into it. I had the same problem with an older 5th wheel and found that the wires were a bit loose and that's what was causing the fluctuation in the lights, etc.
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #5

Tennessee
I agree with others, loose wires will more than likely be the culprit. Start at the battery and work your way out. Load center (breaker panel) could have loose wires too. Just use caution by disconnecting from shore power before examination. Let us know please what you find. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #6

Stuff to check, also experiencing dimming lights, in process of elimination, first with battery, removed it, charging it and then a burden test to check for bad cells. In between time, checked the DC buss bar for loose screws, wires, etc. pulled on wires and two broke off, screws were over tightened and cut through the stranded DC wiring. No load voltage out of the converter was 13.8 VDC which should be good. Connected an uncharged battery and initial voltage reading was 11.88 VDC. Will check again in the morning to see if it would get up to a more desirable level (12.5) I don't know the proper way to trouble shoot the converter or battery charging system. Any techies out there???
DavidPLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #7

Ended up replacing the converter, WFCO 9865 after leaving 12 volt lights on for a period, they took the battery completely down, meaning the charger circuit in the converter was not working. What may have compounded the issue is a bad battery. First I charged it up then took it to wally world for a burden test. They said it was ok, so put it back in and did my own load test which depleted the battery. So, after a new battery and converter, all seems normal.
DavidPLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #8

Washington
Glad to hear you found the problem! Hope that solves your issues.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:30 AM   #9

South Carolina
The problems with two issues (in this case the converter, and a low-capacity battery) are the hardest to troubleshoot. When in doubt, replace what you can afford! Glad you got it done, and you'll sleep better now! P.S. Wally-World trouble analysis is worth every penny you paid for it! I.e. a LARGE grain of salt!

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote